Saturday, June 12, 2010

Toro, Try, Turnoff

Latest Sushi Adventure: Japan Sushi, on 88th Ave. right by the Save-on Foods.

We walked in and the ambience was all right. Nice decor, but the tables felt a little sticky. But we got our own little booth which is always fun.
I liked their chopsticks.
The Miso soup was GREAT! Probably one of my fave's.
Rest of the meal: kind of made me want to hurl a bit... maybe that's because I'm not feeling well anyway. Tempura was far too doughy. Sunomono salad didn't have enough vinegar (but the shrimp in it was good!)
The rolls weren't rolled super solidly and they were okay. A bit too much mayo.
And we ordered The Mexican Chicken Roll and the Toro Roll as our two special rolls. The mexican roll was interesting-pretty good and spicy too. The Toro Roll had prawn tempura, cream cheese, avocado, tobiko and bbq'd unagi (eel) on top. I normally enjoy unagi but here it threw me off and the whole roll with the sauce and all (tasted like a peanut type sauce) didn't really mix very well.
Overall score out of 5: 2.75

Conclusion: It makes me sad that Japanese places like this are full, because they have main locations while the ones that are a few blocks away on a slightly off street sit empty and are far better. Then again, maybe we just went on an off day. And my upset stomach probably didn't help. So, if this is your fave Japanese restaurant, then perhaps I will try it again. And if not, try one of the other ones! :)

1 comment:

Elsie said...

Thanks for the restaurant reviews. You sure know a lot about Japanese food! I haven't been a big fan of Japanese food, but maybe I've been going to the wrong restaurants!