Thursday, June 10, 2010

Java, Jasper, Jittery

Last time I was in Edmonton was when I went to the West Edmonton Mall with my mom and a friend. We used to do it every year when I was younger. Actually, we did it twice. For two years. Kind of a tradition. :) Anyway, it was fun to drive in and enjoy the city at sunset. My GPS did not recognize Edmonton and all the new construction that's happened there.. so i was driving nowhere for a long time on no roads. It was nice.

I was excited to see Anne and hang out with her and stay the night and have breakfast in the morning. A few weeks ago she stayed at my place when she was visiting and I met her for the first time. I love that my friends all get along and that when you met friends of friends, you can click and become friends as well (sorry if that was confusing-haha). Anyway, Anne and I have now hung out in BC and Alberta. Our next two goals are Ontario and Quebec. And then the rest of the provinces and territories of Canada, and then we decided we'd try for all the galaxies or something.
After breakfast, I headed to West Edmonton Mall. When I was last there, there were dolphins which are now replaced by sea lions. I miss the dolphins. But the sea lions were nice too. And they did all sorts of tricks. Was fun to watch.
Then Leslie came and picked me up and we went for lunch and hung out at a couple of her favorite spots. It was SO good to see her and catch up a bit! Our time was short but I promised to return soon so we could play Yahtzee together.
Then I started the drive home. I have never driven through Jasper National Park but it was also beautiful! Different than the other drive but now I love them both and was happy to be able to drive each of them one way!
Driving back was good to sing to myself, talk to myself and just have some good times of quiet reflection.
Unfortunately, my traveling parasite (it could possibly not be that, but that's what I like to call whatever this is) decided to come out and party while I was in Alberta. I thought it just came out when traveling internationally, but apparently it's whenever I go away. Maybe it's from when I sit for long periods of time? It's annoying and frustrating. Every time I eat, I'm violently ill 30 minutes afterwards. And just for the record, that is NOT fun while driving home from Edmonton.
So I just didn't eat on the drive home. Which combined with driving for many hours and intensely, is also NOT a good idea.
Driving through Kamloops was great. Very beautiful with the river and such. I would like to go back there very soon.
I arrived in Merritt to fill up gas and my entire body was shaking. So I got back in my vehicle and finished up the drive, hoping I could make it through and praying that God would give me the strength on the last stretch of road in the pouring rain.
I arrived home in the wee hours of the morning after 10.5 hours of driving.. So I made good time, but I probably shouldn't have left Edmonton so late in the day. And I probably should have eaten. And I probably should have taken more breaks.
My body was trembling when I got home but I fast fell asleep and am still recovering from my adventure of driving. And my digestive system seems to be getting worse. I'd go to the doctor but in the past that has never helped. So I shall wait it out and hope it fixes itself very soon.

And so concludes the adventure of my Alberta roadtrip! Thanks for coming along for the ride!

2 comments:

Elsie said...

Yet another great adventure. Too bad the "traveling parasite" had to show up again : (

Laura said...

Boo traveling parasite. But yay for beautiful pictures! Sounds like you had a great time!