Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Random, Room, Revival

Life is random. And I love that fact. Sometimes all you can do is laugh. Because we're human, we're all incredibly unique, yet we are connected and we interact and sometimes those interactions can be summed up as random.

The other day a friend and I were having a picnic in a park and some of the people walking by us, the looks the gave us, and the comments they said were random.

We went for a walk and walked on a nice trail that led to a tree under which we came upon a tent (and promptly left the tent dweller in privacy). Random.

Walked by a townhouse complex and saw a sign for HST petition signing so we went into a tiny cigarette-smoked filled garage with 4 seniors who wouldn't let me fill out the form but kept making mistakes while I was choking on second hand smoke. Random.

Having a picnic in the middle of my living room floor on a blanket. Random.

Random is often fun, and also quite funny. It makes me smile. So today, I celebrate the fact that life is random.

We had a photo scavenger hunt for youth recently and I think people watching us must have thought we were fairly random (sorry for the now over-use of that word...) I will post more about it in a future post but for now here is a sneak peak of some pics from my team:


Picture with a stop sign... I held my camera for quite awhile pretending i was still taking a picture just so that Adri would have to hang onto the stop sign longer. Pretty impressive. :)


Reading books together in Save-On. My favorite was helping the woman who was taking the picture overcome her fear of my camera.

Tonight I was at music practice for leading the music portion of worship at church in a couple of weeks. Seeing that it is Pentecost Sunday coming up on that day, we are singing songs about fire, Holy Spirit and revival. And we laughed because all the songs we were singing were from the '90's.

And it brought me back. Brought me back to my days in high school.

To a time when it seemed we were desperate to see revival. I remembered singing those songs at 5am prayer meetings, where I prayed with random strangers for revival. For God to stir our hearts and ignite passion in our lives. To turn our hearts back to Him with fierce abandon. Perhaps this was simply where I was at in my life, but I was committed to revival, in my own life and in the lives of those around me and in the city I was living in.

I want that fire back. I know it won't look the same because I've changed incredibly, but I want God to ignite me and give me incredible passion again. I have been walking around near dead for a very long time. I have allowed numerous experiences and life situations to chip away at my faith and I am left with pieces and have failed to put them together again. I just sit and look at them, wondering how in the world life will ever be brought back to this place. Kind of like Ezekiel and the valley of dry bones. I need God to breathe life on these dry bones again. But I need to take action and move towards Him and have open hands.

So for now, it's back to the basics. Prayer. Seeking God's face. Humbling myself on my knees before my Saviour and Maker. Sure, I pray for various things and people throughout my day, but I rarely take the time to get down on my knees and steadfastly seek God. To seek Him first. To let Him be my life and transform it.


Tonight I did something that I have been thinking about doing for two years but have simply left as a thought in my mind. I made a prayer room. I had one in my old house but since moving, I have not made a space for prayer. So I cut up old bits of carpet and made myself a private corner. A place where I can go.

I say this not to advertise the fact that I'm going to pray. Nor to boast in it. But rather to share my desire for revival in my own life and then to see that flow outwards. And to encourage others to do the same. Where are the dead areas that need life breathed on them in your life?

I'm hopeful. And incredibly excited for revival. Revival is defined as: a) an improvement in the condition or strength of something b) a reawakening c) a restoration to bodily or mental vigor, to life or consciousness. Sounds exciting.

1 comment:

Elsie said...

From RANDOM to REVIVAL - that's quite a post! I love your idea of a prayer room and your desire for renewal. "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." James 4:8