Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Coke, Carrots, Capitals

FYI, a Kiwi (New Zealander) thing to do is to mix Coke with Raspberry Shweppes.. a guy told me about it today and although it looked funny mixing brown and pink it was actually quite tasty. So that's me being cultural.

I also drove by (okay stopped and took some pictures as well) a giant carrot today. I love giant random items. Definitely drove out of my way a bit just to go see it. And it did not disappoint.

Drove by the bread capital today. Bread capital of what? And besides, who decides these things anyway? Is there a committee that goes around deciding certain areas have an overabundance of goods and thereby dub it a capital? Not that I'm complaining, because I appreciated the giant bread loafs by the sign welcoming me to their town.. name of the town, no idea, but I will always remember that the bread capital is in NZ.

I have arrived in Lake Taupo and LOVE it. Okay I can't see much because it's so darn foggy and rainy. Haha. But apparently it is beautiful with lots of volcanoes. The place I'm staying is so wonderful I've decided to stay for 4 nights! Some of the things I hope to do in the next few days: white water raft, trout fly fishing, prawn fishing, maori cultural dinner, bungee jump (big maybe.. haha), jet boat to some waterfalls, sit in hot pools and walk in some geothermal parks! Should be busy! But I'm super excited! And there's a dvd player here (okay so that may not seem exciting) but I had brought dvd's along and have not had a chance to watch them but now I will have something to do late at night! No more going to bed at 9:30pm! Wooooh!!

Today I finally found a Christian radio station. There was a reading of James 1 on there and I felt bad for laughing through most of it, because the guy's voice was overdubbed (you know on movies when guys try to disguise their voice over the phone-that's what it sounded like) and then there were ocean sounds with seagulls in the background. Right. Anyway, as nice to listen to some praise music and I hope to find somewhere local to go to church on Sunday!

I have been reading through Psalms, Proverbs and the gospels and it's been really good to get back into the swing of reading the Bible daily. It's funny because as I read the gospels, I think "Hmm. the disciples and these other people didn't get it" in response to some of the stuff. Then I remember that I would probably react the same way.. and that perhaps in a lot of ways I don't get it. Humbling indeed.

I'm off to go swimming in some hot pools. Then I think I will grab dinner at Hell Pizza.. was looking at their menu and they have WAY more varieties of pizza than we do and they look tasty!! :) Have a good day!

3 comments:

Laura said...

It's foggy and rainy here too! Like we're not so far apart after all. :) I hope you choose an exciting kind of pizza. If I was there I would still pick double cheese. Have fun watching movies and staying up late!

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Coke and mix in, pizza...oh jeeze, it is only 11ish in the morning here and you have got me hungry for pizza. Not good! Pictures of the pizza menu please!

Elsie said...

Coke with raspberry Schweppes.....I imagine it's similar to cherry cola, not a bad taste at all. You are really exploring the culture and the country thoroughly! It's great that you're also checking out the churches. We have attended churches when traveling and it's an amazing feeling to worship with other believers and feel an instant bond. I chuckled at your description of the James 1 reading on the radio - can just imagine it!