Monday, September 13, 2010

Adrenaline, Airplanes, ATV

How do you pump your adrenaline in a matter of seconds? Sit at a bar chatting with people when you hear a shot. Thinking it was just a truck backfire I turned around to see a hooded guy waving a gun in the air. And a look of terror at the bartender who was just shot at.

Such was my evening tonight. Had met some friendly locals and some folks from Texas. We were chatting about guns actually... and then heard one fired off. After realizing it was real, we all ran out the back of the restaurant, to the patio, out the fire escape, into the bushes and down a gully, where we heard more gunshots, glass breaking and yelling.

Turns out, three of the guys tackled him and started wrestling him and punching him.. he got out and got on his ATV and drove right into the bar windows, smashing the glass. They tipped his ATV but he somehow got it back up and made his getaway.

So now I'm a witness. Crazy. I thought these things only happen in movies...

In other words, I'm staying at a very cool hotel right now. I'm actually staying in the last big bristol plane that left Vietnam. It has the original exterior, including doors and everything. Pretty cool. Except when in the middle of the night I heard someone walking on the gravel outside the window.. I learned then that it was just cows. haha. Hearing walking on gravel tonight might be a bit different after the evening I've had. But hopefully I will sleep all right despite all that.

Went for some amazing walks today. Saw natural tunnels, natural bridges, huge waterfalls, amazing vegetation, kiwi birds and much much more. The area I'm staying in is so incredibly green with rolling hills. Had some good close encounters with cows today as well.

I'm off to go try and settle down my racing heart and hopefully have a safe and peaceful sleep on my own this evening! Heading south tomorrow, not sure where, but hoping to get some golfing in soon!

5 comments:

Elsie said...

That is bizarre!!!! Probably more of an adrenaline rush than you have ever wanted and hopefully never experience again! Glad to hear you're safe and sound in your airplane motel......I hear the other motels there include hobbit houses and a train and a boat. Crazy place!

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Jeepers! I'll bet a bunch more people are going to be praying for you now!

Yvonne said...

So glad you're all right! That's so scary. Hopefully you had a good night sleep still. Hugs!

Theresa said...

Ya, I'll be praying differently now too. I sure hope you were able to sleep, cows & all.
Again, another reason I should come and travel with you!

Laura said...

I'm so glad you're safe!!!