Monday, September 6, 2010

Haast, Hotel, Humans

Yesterday I found my new favorite road to drive in the whole world. It's the road from Wanaka to Haast, both tiny towns that have about 300 people in them.

Here are some things I love about Haast:
-the drive here is stunning, the mistiness of the clouds and the waterfalls you saw crossing the road every half a kilometre - you felt like nymphs and fairies would come out of the forest
-there are 14 one lane bridges on the way to Haast and I love those!
-there are penguins in Haast
-the brochure says "Haast is sparsely populated with the human species". Priceless
-you check into your hotel at the bar
-while at the bar, you meet all the residents in Haast
-you can have great conversations with everyone at the bar/restaurant
-you meet people from Holland and South Africa who moved to New Zealand because it is so darn beautiful
-where a fridge should be in your hotel room, there is a note (velcroed) that says sorry there are no fridges, they don't have enough power source
-have I mentioned the drive here is amazing?
-The name Haast is fun to say. And the bridge leading to Haast is called "The Gates of Haast"
-you can use the phrase "Life in the Haast lane"
-they have already offered me a job

There is much much more I could say about Haast, but I shall leave it with that. I love small towns with such character where you can meet people and just chat for hours. My favorite was after our evening, we were like "man, it must be like 1am". Yeah, it was 10:30pm... it gets dark early here. haha

In other news, I once again lack the ability to digest my food. Oh well... And today I'm hiking up the Franz Josef glacier and can't wait for the drive along the coast because I've heard it's amazing!! Enjoy your Labour Day in Canada and I will enjoy my Tuesday!

2 comments:

Stéphanie said...

HA! So, if I was to book a flight on a whim and run away to this amazing small village, where would I have to fly to ;)
Ohhhh to dream!
Love reading your updates darling! :)

Theresa said...

NO JOB ACCEPTING PLEASE