Saturday, June 7, 2008

Guatemala (City), Goats, Gross

The first night in Guatemala was in Guatemala City. Four of us arrived in the morning and spent the day there before the rest of the group arrived. This was our first "Guatemalan" who greeted us in the shower. Actually, there were three of them and they kept fighting.. haha
This is inside the Guatemala Cathedral in the main square of Guatemala City. It was definitely interesting to note many differences between North American Catholicism and Central American Catholicism. There is a lot more synchrotism present in Central America, particularly with different Mayan religious beliefs and practices.
Good times with pigeons in the main square of Guatemala City. We even drank goat milk straight out of the goat.. haha.. Yay for warm unpasteurized milk!
The man with the goat


4 comments:

Yvonne said...

That bug made me shudder. I would have found it very hard to keep showering without screaming:D At least if they were fighting with each other they were preoccupied. Was it weird drinking warm milk right from the goat?
I've always found it interesting how different the same religion can be depending on where you are. They definitely get to be "westernized" somewhat here in Canada.

Yvonne said...

P.S. I can't believe I beat Chryssie for the first comment:)

Chrys said...

I totally forgot to comment when I originally read this. Yvonne rubbed it in my face tonight! I agree with her - that bug is disgusting. I hate bugs!!

elisa said...

Goat milk is supposed to be really healthy for us! I can't believe how brave you are for showering with that unwanted house guest!