Monday, October 4, 2010

Slippery, Sidewalks, Sleepy

At present I have been up for about 30 hours.. I figure if I can stay awake for about 5 more and go to bed at 10:30 pm, maybe my jet lag and tiredness will be magically fine and I shall proceed in this time zone like a normal human being.

Upon arrival at home this morning, I decided I wanted to do laundry. To do laundry I needed to change out of the clothes I was wearing. To change, I needed to shower to put on clean clothes. To shower I figured I should do something physical. If I went for a walk I figured I should buy some fruits and veggies to stock the fridge. So I bought fruits and vegetables so that i could do laundry. Makes sense.

However, walking to the store when you're absolutely exhausted and could fall asleep while walking is not a great idea. An even better idea however is trying to walk back home carrying two very heavy bags while eating a plum and trying not to fall asleep. I consider myself very skilled.

So far the laundry is almost done, bags are unpacked, went for lunch with a friend and had tea with another. I feel incredibly productive.

My last few days in Australia were delightful. You know when you meet someone and you feel a connection with them and feel like you could talk and listen and be mutually heard and understood? I had that with a few of the people I visited and it is a wonderful thing indeed. I loved seeing old friends that i had not seen for a while and to catch up.

My last day in Sydney was fun, filled with a festival and the grand final of the national rugby league. Very exciting. However, while I was out, it started pouring rain. I don't mind the rain. However, after almost dodging certain death numerous times, I grew to dislike Sydney sidewalks in the rain.

Sydney has very nice sidewalks. They're made out of some sort of stone. Lovely. Except when they're wet. They become really slippery. Obviously if it's pouring rain and not that warm out, people would wear proper footwear, right? Wrong. I like flip flops. My flip flops have no grip. My flip flops do not like Sydney sidewalks and I have a cracked open toenail to prove it. I bailed twice, once hitting my large toe against the sidewalk, which created much bloodflow and pain and later swelling. I walked back to my hotel very slowly and I think that people must have thought I was perhaps crazy. Well, maybe I am. But walking slow is not indication of it.

I am slowly readjusting to driving on the "right" side of the road again. While driving today I realized that my vehicle drives much nicer than the ones I've been driving. I have also tried turning on my signal numerous times only to discover there is nothing beside my steering wheel on the right hand side. I have also tried turning into the left side of the road on a few occasions. Thankfully those were on not very busy streets.

It's delightful to be home. And soon I will post more pictures and other things. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I am so glad you're home! Also I love your logic train from laundry to fruit. Totally makes sense. :) The sidewalks in Australia sound like the sidewalks in Peru, which apparently got varnished sometimes? But the guy who was telling me didn't speak very much English and my Spanish was terrible so that might not be true. I look forward to pictures! Have fun at nacho night!

Lovella ♥ said...

Ah .. .welcome home. . .I'll look forward to the pictures.
And ..goodnight!

Elsie said...

Welcome home! Looking forward to more pictures.
PS - if you are in need of a little excitement after such a major adventure, come on down to Fort Langley to the Cranberry Festival this coming Saturday!

Yvonne said...

Welcome home!!! That would be quite the adjustment trying to drive here. Sorry about your toe, that sounds really painful. Hopefully you get over the jet lag quicly and can feel like a normal human being again. Have a good day!