Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Alabanza, Affirmation, Add

Alabanza means to raise this thing to God's face and to sing quite literally "praise to this".

There are continuous moments in my days where my heart sings alabanza, praising God for His goodness and His blessings. And I realize now in the definition it could be interpreted that the thing is being praised.. but I see it more of looking at the thing and praising God for it in its entirety. So when I use the word, I mean it according to my meaning of it.

This last weekend I was blessed to have my friend Lindie visit and also to be able to go see one of my favourite musicals, In the Heights. It was wonderful. The music, the choreography, the themes, and so forth. I couldn't find 'alabanza' (my fave song from the musical) on my playlist, so I picked the main song from the musical instead. But I loved seeing it and being challenged by it and also spending a wonderful afternoon with two very dear friends, both of whom about I would say 'alabanza' because they are indeed fearfully and wonderfully made and I praise God for them and for His work in their lives.

Apparently Lindie doesn't think it's cool to pose with hot dogs for pictures. That's probably because she was eating a pizza instead.

And yesterday was another dear friend's birthday. And I am incredibly thankful for her and that I was able to celebrate her birthday with her and to be reminded of the blessing she is in my life. I always leave hanging out with her encouraged and affirmed and personally challenged as well.

So I praise God for these things and more!

Based on my last post, I have been continuing to think about this topic and want to invite my blog readers to join in. Not sure what I'm inviting you to join into yet, but the invitation is there. For me, I want to go through my books, movies, cds and other things and put a lot of it in boxes. I don't need these things and it's part of simplifying.

I was thinking of maybe donating it somewhere.. like MCC, but then I thought it would be cool to maybe have a garage sale and then donate all the money to something (to be determined), but not totally sure. But if others wanted to join, we could have a bigger garage sale and use the money for some project of some sort. Just an idea that has begun in my head. Any other ideas to add?

1 comment:

Elsie said...

Alabanza.....nice concept. I love live theatre too (except when it's really bizarre, like the TWU play we saw on Friday night). On the topic of simplifying, in the end it still boils down to the heart attitude - a destitute person can be a hoarder and have an unhealthy attachment to things too! You have to find your balance.