Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cuppa, Cockatoos, Crooked

As I am writing this blog post, I am enjoying a cuppa (Australian for tea time), so I think it's quite fitting. Since photos on blogger take forever to load and it is taking me forever to sort through my photos, I will post them in chunks. So here are some from my first four days in Australia, spent near Sydney.


Sydney Harbour is absolutely stunning! Okay, generally any place that has an ocean next to and a coast line is beautiful to me! But I enjoyed the mixture of downtown and gardens and beautiful views from Sydney.


And the colour of the ocean is so beautifully blue!


And the trees are crooked...


And I somehow have a gift that when I take photos of water, they are never straight. So I figure.. why break tradition?


I love these random birds that are normal to Australians but completely fun and exciting to me. This one looks like it's going for the cigarette...




I looked for zebras but sadly saw none...


I love these ones! Funny because I was shocked to see them in real life.. I thought you only found them in pet stores. There were like 20 in this one spot. I tried feeding them but they didn't take. Later I found out they bite and I was quite happy that they didn't choose to feed on me.



This was the view from the place we stayed in Sydney. Out one side of the window at least-the other side was nice too, but it didn't have water or boats, so it wasn't quite as good.



Went on a winery tour in Hunter Valley-this was the first of the four vineyards we visited.




The first kangaroo we saw was roadkill, so when we saw some in a field, we stopped to take photos.


I don't like getting out of buses when I figure I will see something again in the future.. so instead I took a picture from the bus of the row of people taking a picture of the kangaroos. I like my picture the best. :)



The view from the other side of the window


Koalas! lovely and very cute little guys




Legs of the emu above, bum feathers of the emu below


Kookaberra! I learned a variation of the song however:
"Kookaberra sits on the electric wire,
Burning his bum on the electric wire,
Jump, Kookaberra, jump
Kookaberra, hot your bum must be."
I like this version better.



I love their random fuzzy looking chickens. Maybe they have those in Canada too and maybe because I'm used to the chickens in our barns, but I loved these ones!


Blue Mountains-beautiful!



Apparently I really liked this flowers because I have five different close-ups of them from different locations. I figured I'd spare you from the other four, although they are spectacular I'm sure.



Love love love the ferny palm trees



Steepest railway in the world



Sunset on Sydney Harbour. Took the ferry in and was a beautiful (and cheap) view of the city from the water!



The clouds were magnificent!


And that's all for now. Thanks for enjoying my photos with me.

Here are a few things that I'm having trouble adjusting to:
-I'm used to the speed limit being 100 everywhere as in NZ... not so here
-I try waving at everyone I drive by, but they don't wave back
-I keep saying trim instead of skim (milk) and nappy instead of diaper
-Time change. Was up for 36 hours, slept for 10. then i went to the grocery to get olives for my greek salad.. then i stood in the grocery store for 10 minutes trying to remember why I went there... then I walked by the olives about five times while looking for them
-people don't have accents here
-there were other things but I have now forgotten them

Stay tuned for pictures from the South Island of NZ!

1 comment:

Lovella ♥ said...

Oh I definately think the fence picture wins. ..really we've all seen kangaroos ..well some of us in zoos .. but regardless. .
your pictures are all great.
I had to laugh at the crooked picture of the water. . .I regularly have to use my straighten button.