Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sheep, South, Snow

While I loved my entire trip, the South Island of New Zealand holds a special place in my heart. The North Island was awesome with so many beautiful things to see and do, but the South captured my heart with its incredible beauty and miles of unpopulated land. Here are some photos for you to enjoy:


This picture would have been awesome had I not scared the cows by getting out of the vehicle...



Rush hour in NZ. Ran across this a few times. The best was when they all had horns-that was fun to drive through.


The water everywhere is SO blue! Partly because of the glaciers.



A lot of time it was quite cloudy and stormy but it gave a different feel to the mountains that was amazing.


This is in Queenstown





I forgot my parachute that day so had to be extra careful.



This is the first bungee bridge in NZ! And what's cool is that my mom, brother and his friend jumped off this bridge when they were in NZ.



This is a river we drove through. :) Thankfully the vehicle had a snorkel.


Some cobwebs in historic Arrowtown


Fresh snow. Boy it was warm there. Good thing I had so many summer clothes along.





Skipper's Canyon. Where the road on the side of the cliff is sometimes as wide as your vehicle.







Part of The Remarkables. You may recognize them from Lord of the Rings. And they are indeed rightly named.




Drive to Glenorchy










Petrified Forest - very cool! Home of the yellow-eyed penguins as well.







Franz Josef Glacier




I think the stairs are the coolest glacier formation yet.



I got kind of wet.


Beaches everywhere = incredible


Weka!



Pancake Rocks!!

And that's all for now. I have a bunch from my other camera but it's a bit hard to sort through.. but next post will be some photos from the North Island! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Elsie said...

Wow...wow...WOW !!!! Spectacular mountains and glaciers and beaches! Love the shot of you and the driftwood statue on the beach.