Saturday, October 9, 2010

Mandela, Motivational, Man

In anticipation of my trip to South Africa, I decided I wanted to read some relevant material. So, I brought the 'Long Walk to Freedom' with me on my trip down under. I figured that the book was 625 pages so if I just brought one book on holidays I'd be good to go. Once I got over my obsession with doing every single puzzle in my easy sudoku book, i was able to start reading it and couldn't put it down.

I don't always enjoy autobiographies and I don't understand politics at all, but this book was a page turner and it kept me fixed to it. In fact, I'd be sitting on a beach in New Zealand reading it, and when I'd look up, I'd have to stop and ponder where I was again, because for a moment I had been transported into the world of South Africa.


Mandela writes the story of his life with incredible grace and humility and after reading it, I feel like I know him personally, because of how his story is told. I learned a lot more about South Africa and what has happened in the last few decades.

Reading about Mandela's passion for the freedom of his country is incredibly inspiring. It is a story that shows what happens when people are willing to fight for what they believe in.

Here's a quote from the book at the end that left me pondering further:

"I never lost hope that this great transformation would occur. Not only because of the great heroes I have already cited, but because of the courage of the ordinary men and women of my country. I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite. Even in the grimmest times in prison, when my comrades and I were pushed to our limits, I would see a glimmer of humanity in one of the guards, and perhaps just for a second, but it was enough to reassure me and keep me going. Man's goodness is a flame that can be hidden but never extinguished."

What an incredible story of perseverance and courage. If you like reading, I highly highly recommend this book-check it out! After finishing the book on my flight home, I was able to watch Invictus, which is a true story that takes place during Mandela's first term as president. Was great to connect the two. And now I'm even more excited to go to South Africa and feel like I know and understand a little bit more about the country!

No comments: