Friday, March 19, 2010

Peaches, Pears, Practice

Chilled fruit soups sounds like a delightful way to start a hot summer evening dinner!

So, the other day I figured I'd venture into the world of making chilled fruit soups (much to the mocking of my friends :) ) I went to the produce store and bought two bags of pears and two bags of peaches, each only a dollar each! (they were on the verge of going downhill, so they're sold at discounted prices-great deal though!)

So, here's a recipe for the chilled peach soup I made. I made chilled pear soup, almost in the same fashion, so I won't bother putting that recipe up. Plus, we're still in the experimental stages...

First I boiled my peaches and then put them in really cold water, and then the peels came off really easily.
Then I put about 2 cups of peaches into my food processor and added 3/4 cup of cold water, 2 Tbsp. honey, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice and 1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt. Then I pureed it and proceeded to add 2 tsp vanilla along with some nutmeg and cinnamon to taste.
Then I pureed it some more, chilled it in the fridge, and then when eating it, I added fresh mint on top and it tasted excellent! Okay, so this is just the beginnings of my chilled soup experiments. There are a lot of other things I want to try, with adding other fruit and other ingredients, but I will be sure to keep you updated! It's a great way to enjoy fruit and it's nice and light and tasty.

And another fruit adventure! whenever I have friends over, I force them to try the newest fruit I have bought at the produce store. So, Lawrence came over and I made him try the cactus pear. I wasn't totally sure how to prepare it, so I peeled it and cut it up.
It has a nice dark pink color and some small seeds. It kind of tasted like a drier version of watermelon. Was interesting to try, although probably not my favorite. So, if you're feeling adventuresome, look for a cactus pear and give it a try! :)

2 comments:

Anneliese said...

Hi Vanessa - it's always nice to see how you keep enjoying life . . . when I saw the fruit soup idea I thought you would talk about obstmoose... but no.. no dried fruit this time... and if you like to try new fruit, oh boy... go to Indonesia - so many to try!

Elsie said...

I thought you were going to talk about Obst Mus too. but you are a modern chef : ) It's fun to experiment!