Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Closing Ceremonies, Canada, Cheer!

Yesterday morning life went back to normal after a frenzy of two weeks of Olympics. And what a two weeks it was indeed! Back when Vancouver was announced as the 2010 Olympics, most of us probably did not understand the significance of it. I know that I wasn't overly thrilled about it. Yet, as it got nearer, the frenzy and Olympic fever seemed to grow and even skeptics got on board, including myself. How wonderful to cheer our athletes on together. How great to see how it seems as though Canada, and more specifically, Vancouver and the Fraser Valley have been changed as a result. We have never been overly patriotic, but I think the Olympics have fostered a greater national pride in us as Canadians. It has brought us together in cheering together and enjoying this event.

Much more can be said about it, and I'm sure a lot of people aren't excited about the taxes and such that will ensue.. but I figure complaining about it won't change the fact that they were here. I'm glad I was able to go enjoy what I will be paying for regardless of my attitude towards it! A little sad the Olympics are over but there were some great memories made and some grand adventures that were had. Perhaps the Paralympics coming up could be quite fun? Anyway, here's a bit of a recap in pictures and words of my day on Sunday. Sorry that they are completely out of order, but with three cameras providing pictures, it was tricky getting the right order.. and really, I just didn't feel like it!

Maia and I headed downtown for the last day of Olympics fun and we joined up with some friends along the way! Here are our excited faces.. And although it looks like it, have no fear, my eyes did not pop out of my head...

We got a table right in front of a tv in the Hyatt where a couple hundred other people were watching and the energy and excitement was electrifying. The Canada/US game was amazing. Definitely an exciting game.. I felt so stressed and tense the entire time! haha.. But it was so neat to join in chanting "Louuuuuuu" or "Let's go Canada" or "We want gold!" "Go Canada Go" (you get the picture). I almost felt like I was at the game because we were all so loud and involved in it. What I love is that all across Canada, in restaurants, homes and other places, similar gatherings were happening as 80% of the nation gathered together to root for their country's team playing our favorite sport.

YAY! We won gold!!! :) What a fantastic way to end the Olympics which such a great win! Great Iggy and Sid combo! i loved how big their smiles were afterwards. I can only imagine the elation they must have felt in that moment!


We're number One!


This is me letting all those Russian athletes that we are in fact number 1 in Canada...


And again


Weird hologram people who we saw singing live later and it was a bit weird that I recognized them. haha


YAY world!


After our wanderings after the epic game, we went with the throngs of people to BC Place where we got ready to participate in and watch the Closing Ceremonies.


Here we are practicing with our snow globes from Russia. The lit up colors of the snow globes made Russia's flag all in the stadium - pretty cool.

And the nifty antlers we got to wear that we were all quite enamored with. It was fun that we got props and that we got to be involved in the whole thing. it was neat seeing all the special effects too, some of which weren't really evident on television. And all the different performing groups were excellent as well! Great to have such a variety! My favorite were Michael Buble, Alanis Morisette and Hedley.

Holding up my cool pink cardboard thing. When everyone held up their different colors, it formed flowers all throughout the stadium which was actually pretty cool!

I loved that they made a joke out of the fact that the last leg of the cauldron wouldn't lift up! haha..

The beginning with the snowboard holders and all the designs they made and the words they made was so cool. Well done on the choreography!

All the flags of the world coming in




Throughout the night, we had random things falling on us, like snow or leaves and so forth. Quite fun to be in the midst of it!

Very large Canadian geese...



This was one of my favorite parts of the show. Some might find it cheesy and it was intentionally over the top, but I loved it. Especially that Michael Buble was singing in this portion of it. But what else typifies Canada really? hehe.. I thought the closing ceremonies did a great job of showing Canada. And it was quit grand and cool to see giant mounties, hockey players, beavers, moose, lumberjacks, canoers and so forth!



Science world lit up at night. This pic was taken by Maia


Our trendy and cool new reflections

Later in the evening we went to Olive Garden.. there was nobody around because it was late, but we still had to wait. Maybe they just wanted to stick to the fact that you always have to wait when you go there. Why ruin someone's expectations?

Russia choir singing





Here's us right before driving into Vancouver!

Sandy and I decided those guys looked like they were having a good time watching, so we figured we'd join them!


Our crew watching the game at the Hyatt! Well, there was another row of people with us that were beside us, but sadly they did not make it in the picture...

Our box of props we got on our individual seats! The box is pretty cool actually and comes with a nice book about the closing ceremonies! It will be a good keepsake and a good place to store my event tickets!

Thankfully the memories will last. And hopefully the way it has brought people together will likewise last. Have a wonderful day!

3 comments:

Elsie said...

Yes, the Olympics turned out to be much more amazing than we could have imagined. My daughter said today that she's experiencing Olympic withdrawal. My favourite part of the closing ceremonies was the spoof at the beginning with the clown pulling up the stubborn pillar and Catriona Lemay Doan having her chance to light it after all. Brilliant! Michael Buble was a highlight too....There were so many great moments throughout the whole Olympics. Thanks for sharing your take on it!

Beck's Bulletin said...

So much fun! Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.