Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cape, Canoe, Chile

Cape Horn is really famous as being the southern tip of South America. Many sailors' ships went down there as the weather is completely unpredictable and can change in an instant. It is where three bodies of water converge and is nicknamed the roaring 40's because it's at the 40 degree latitude (i think.. but don't quote me on that one!) Anyway, it was calm there which is very rare. So we got to go around the entire thing (2 out of 8 times they are able), so that was pretty neat. Tons of albatross flying around everywhere too.




Ushuaia is the southernmost city in the world located in Argentina near the border of Chile. It was a really interesting town with a lot of interesting history and stories about the people who live there. My uncle and I went canoeing in their national park "Tiera del Fuego" and it was a fantastic time. Stunning views! And just wonderful to be out on the water (haha.. which is ironic since I had been on a ship for the two weeks prior). But I do love canoeing and have been thinking lately of buying one actually.. so we will see!











If you turn your head to the side, this is a great picture. I rotated it but apparently it didn't want to stay rotated when put on my blog!





Up Next: Tores del Paine National Park in Chile!

1 comment:

Elsie said...

I can imagine how thrilling it must have been to go canoeing in Tiera del Fuego. You look around and everything feels surreal, doesn't it? I felt that way when we canoed on Morraine Lake near Banff. You were so blessed to be able to go around Cape Horn too. What an amazing trip!