Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Awareness, Awesome, April

Happy April 1st!! I cannot cannot believe that it is already April! Where did January go? Sigh. I laughed when I woke up to see snow on the ground this morning. In fact where I am it is still snowing quite large flakes and quite thick (pretty wet though). In a way it's like God was playing an April Fool's joke on us - "haha, you thought it was spring, not so!" But I"m happy with it and we still get a few sunny days a week so I'm trying to enjoy the weather for what it is!

Today George (tape recorder) and I went on a couple more adventures. I am becoming more comfortable with George and am quite excited for all the information he has on his little white tapes. I have interviewed five different counselors from different backgrounds and have been SO blessed by them. They have given me incredible insight into the topic I'm writing a paper on, but even more so, they have blessed and encouraged me in my own spiritual journey, probably without even knowing it. They have encouraged me and reminded me of things so easily forgotten. Throughout the Old Testament God was constantly reminding His people of what He had done for them. Sometimes I see it as redundant, but then I realize how often I forget about God's works and His presence, that it makes sense to have reminders. So today I am encouraged.

One thing that was repeated throughout the interviews was cultivating a greater awareness of God throughout one's daily activities. The moments when I am aware of God are incredible and wonderful. I want to be enraptured in the mystery of who God is and to continually bein awe of Him. I want to continue taking steps towards making that a reality in my life.

I love what Gerald May says on the topic of practicing contemplation and awareness of God:

"True contemplative presence is the realization (making real) of living, moving and having our very being in God"

“God does not wait to come into our lives until we have solved our problems. God is always involved. Love is already here”

“Remember the sacrament of the present moment, the utter here and now simplicity in which each precious instant keeps becoming a new precious instant in an ever-fresh cascade of innocent beginnings”

Just a few thoughts. I have to wonder what I am doing to create space for this in my life. One is that I am trying to be outside more. Creation has an incredible way of connecting us with life and our Creator. Also to be praying continually. Throughout my day, to be in conversation with God and reflecting my thoughts back to Him. Being aware of His image in those around me. Seeing the characteristics of God displayed through my day.

What are you doing to be more aware of the presence of God today?

1 comment:

Chrys said...

I couldn't believe it when it snowed on April 1. I honestly thought it was a joke when people in the office were talking about it!