Friday, June 10, 2011

Shattered, Soccer, Sliding

The other day I was sitting in my room when suddenly I heard a large crash. I got up, a bit concerned that something fell down the stairs, but a quick glance out of my window told me otherwise. There were children with horrified looks on their faces glancing back at my house, but running away as fast as their feet would carry them. Kind of a funny sight when I think back.


I went downstairs to discover my basement patio sliding door completely shattered. Well, the outside pane at least. I was quite upset and angry, especially because the children had all run off.


But then I realized it made for some cool pictures, because the way the glass had shattered and was just sitting there was kind of cool. Anyway, turns out, I talked to someone on strata who tracked the kids down and it was not until those parents got a phone call (five hours later), that the mothers found out what had happened. So I watched as angry mothers stormed through the back courtyard with their little boys in tow, coming to apologize. In the end, it got fixed and I didn't have to pay for it.


But there is some sort of life lesson here. I was more upset at the fact that these kids who shattered my window did not tell their parents right away than the fact that it happened. Accidents happen, I get that. But then to run away and try to hide seems quite silly.

Yet, we seem to do that so often. We run and hide and try to cover our tracks when different things come up. I'm learning more and more, that it's better to just be totally honest about something, rather than someone finding out about something later and finding out who didn't tell them the whole truth. And I now have some pictures of my shattered door to remind me of that.

1 comment:

Elsie said...

I was happy to read that the "angry mothers stormed through the back courtyard with their little boys in tow, coming to apologize." Yay for those moms, teaching their kids good moral values! It's not a pleasant task, but necessary. Glad everything turned out fine in the end.