Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Harrison, Hectic, Horizontal

Yesterday my canoeing was compared to those drivers that swerve in and out of the lanes on the freeway. I stick to the fact that I got more exercise and had more fun, so that's what matters!

This morning, 2 of my uncles, my aunt, my grandma, a few cousins (from Ontario) and I headed up to Harrison where we put our canoes in the water and got ready for our grand canoeing adventure!


We canoed to the Harrison River entrance and enjoyed the mountains on either side. It was fairly sunny for most of the day with just a little bit of wind.


We even saw a baby sea otter that hung out by the boat for quite a while. Along with adult sea otters, large seals, blue herons, hawks and even a few fish that decided to jump out of the water and freak Adrielle out. At one point I figured she might jump out of the canoe!


We had four canoes, so it was pretty fun having a mini caravan. We did indeed weave back and forth to either side of the river, but we had fun exploring the different parts and finding the faster currents in the river.


We took our packed picnic lunch and hiked up a mini mountain with a beautiful view where we enjoyed our picnic.


Then onward we went. Whenever Adrielle and i saw two things that were relatively close to one another, we would try to maneuver through it.


After four hours of canoeing {I'd be interested in knowing how many kms that is}, we arrived at our destination! It took us a while to get the canoes back to the rental place and take our own canoes back, but it was all well worth it.


I thoroughly enjoyed the day, the beauty all around, the fantastic company-it was truly delightful!


I had canoed the Harrison River a few years ago but it was great to come back a few years later with different people and to see it through fresh eyes as well. It was interesting as I have been watching kids lately, especially my nephew, how they see the world through such excitement and wonder.


Everything is exciting and new and something to be explored and discovered. What a great way to view and experience life!

Then in the evening, we had a BBQ with steak and chicken at my mom's which was SO tasty. Once again, just fun to hang out and enjoy good food and friends!


After dinner, my cousins and I went for an evening swim and hot tub. We decided to play Blind Man's Bluff which is pretty much my most favorite pool game ever. It was fun playing with more people and there was definitely a lot of laughs!

It has been so good to hang out with my family from out of town! The endless laughter and giggling is especially what I love. Below is my cousin showing us how he doesn't eat with his hands {this would make sense in a more comical way in context with the conversation we were having}

Caleb, Emily and Adrielle are headed home tomorrow but thankfully I will be flying out there way next week and will enjoy dinner with them! Only 3 more sleeps until random crazy adventure begins!

Anyway, enjoy your Wednesday. I am hoping to cross many household chores off the to-do list. And catch up with some friends! And more family stuff too!

No comments: