Monday, April 5, 2010

Starfruit, Seattle, Sisters

It's been a busy week, but now I finally have a moment in time to sit and post about some of my recent adventures!

On Wednesday, after an evening practice, I headed down to Lynnwood, near Seattle. I stayed the night in a really cool hotel, waterfalls and all. In the morning I wrote my GRE (an exam you have to write to get into a lot of grad schools). Technically it's a 4 hours exam. It took 2 hours and wasn't too bad. The verbal portion was the worst, only because I didn't know what most of the words meant.. I wonder if other people did? And here I thought I had a good vocabulary. Guess I should re-subscribe to dictionary.com's word of the day! :)

After the exam I headed downtown to enjoy walking around, people watching, some good eats and just relaxing and enjoying life around me. I fully intended to take a lot of photos... I came home with about five. I was too busy enjoying it all and did not want to take out the camera in those moments. That, plus the fact that there were random downpours! haha..
I love all the shops and places along the water. So much fun!
I enjoyed some steamed mussels for lunch. I didn't use the butter, but thought the way it spilled over the edges made for a great photo...
Seeing the men in this boat always makes me want to crawl up there and join them. My hotel was so nice and relaxing that I decided to stay a bit longer. I did a bunch more exploring, went to check out the grad school I'm looking at for this fall and just enjoyed "being" and having absolutely no agenda.

I came home on Good Friday and had some company over! A bunch of friends came over and we made lunch together. But while some of them went shopping, we decided to venture out and try starfruit! I really don't even like the taste... but I think it's so fun that it's star-shaped when you slice it! So here's some pics from that venture!
Ta-da! Stars!! :)
What a great afternoon of great food and fellowship! Was just what I needed after a few days by myself. My favorite part was when I left for five hours for a family gathering and my friends stayed and were still there when I got back! That is one of the things I love about having my own place-to be able to welcome others into my home and invite them to make it their own as well. An incredible blessing indeed.


On Saturday afternoon, Desiree and I headed to the States. We made our first stop at Arby's in Bellingham because that's where the Arby's fun started. Every time we're there, when I'm in the bathroom, I start chanting "Arby's! Arby's! Arby's!" and Desiree just stands outside giggling, while the other customers look really puzzled and confused, wondering who the heck is chanting. The looks I get when I come out of the bathroom are priceless! :)
Desiree had the large roast beef and cheddar which was enjoyed in the moment but slightly regretted later! hehe... We had a fantastic evening-went to a bunch of different stores and then went to Cabaret the musical. It was fantastic. I know a lot of songs from it but had never seen it live. It was well done and thought-provoking as well. And the whole afternoon/evening was interspersed with much laughing.. to the point of almost peeing our pants. Best kind of laughter I think (well.. unless you actually pee your pants.. but sometimes that makes it EVEN better.. not that i speak from experience..)
Sunday was great! I love Easter and the new life it represents and the inexpressible joy of sharing in the risen life of our Savior Jesus Christ. How wonderful to celebrate together intentionally on that day! The morning was spent at church enjoying the two services and a fabulous pancake breakfast in between! Then my friend Maia came over after church and then I headed to Abby for a family gathering which was great as always. Then Kristen and I headed to Vancouver for the Canucks game!
Normally all our pics at the hockey game are identical, so this time we decided to switch it up a bit. The game was great. It was a nail-biter, especially when three goals were scored in the final minute of play. But we won in OT. Phewf. And we got on the big screen of course. It's tradition.
Kristen was making an L... to herself. (for Luongo) It was Luongo's bday so we cheered extra hard for him. I even started the wave which I have never done before. Okay, it only made it halfway around the stadium, but I was still fairly proud of myself for influencing at least a few thousand people.

And so ended a fantastic long weekend! Well, actually we ended it at my new favorite gelato place in Vancouver. It's on venables, has 218 flavors and is worth it just for the experience of going. Didn't take pics but perhaps next time I shall! :)

And right now i'm working on a project that makes me smile and laugh, so when i'm done I will share it here! Have a great week!

No comments: