Monday, April 26, 2010

Tulips, Trash, Tub

What a full week last week was! I love them, but at the same time am thankful for a week like this one with a bit more down time and chance to stop and breathe and regroup (and clean the house!)

About every month or so, our sr. high youth at church do a sandwich handout in east vancouver. This time we were incredibly blessed with donations from Wagner Hills- 25 loaves of bread, 2 boxes of bananas, chips, cereal, toothbrushes, and pickles! Oh, and a giant 35 lb. tub of peanut butter!! A few of us often make cookies beforehand to hand out, so we had two days of cookie baking! The first day of course included peanut butter cookies! Never in my life have I seen so much peanut butter, but it was fun. We made 400 cookies total.

Here's a nice shot with the tub of peanut butter..

And the drowning warning for children around the tub of peanut butter. I thought it was funny, because who would have ever thought that peanut butter would be a drowning hazard?

Mmmm.. natural peanut butter...

We took a picture with the tub, but I made Gabriela wear a life jacket, just in case.

And then we had an impromptu and very random photo shoot outside!


Little did we know that Maia was watching us the entire time from the porch! Glad anyone can just walk into my house when I leave it!

After the cookie making adventure, Maia and I head to the mall to commemorate earth day by going to a 'trashion' show. Fashion made from trash-brilliant! We also bought some shoes.

And played with the puppies.


Skirt made out of Archie comics!

Lamp tassles and Christmas lights

Coke cans and tabs (the perfect outfit when you don't want others getting close to you...)
shopping bags!

Trash bags!

Wires and CD's!

Self-portrait :)

We enjoyed a nice dinner at Red Robin's afterwards. We were slightly picture happy and the waitress thought we were slightly weird, but we had fun and some good convos to boot!
It is extremely difficult to put a lens cap in your mouth. I truly am very skilled.


We also drank a lot of water apparently.

Friday was chocolate chip cookie baking day! They turned out great and made the house smell amazing! I may have consumed a bit too much cookie dough though! Oops! Then we headed to church to make sandwiches. We made about 50 loaves of sandwiches and then headed out to Vancouver despite the pouring rain. Nobody would believe me that it was nice and sunny in Vancouver... but when we arrived, the skies were clearing, there were remnants of a purple/pink sunset and all was well! We had SO much stuff to give out-it was great! It was wonderful just to bless people abundantly. My favorite quote from one woman was, "Wow, this is just like Disneyland!!"

Went to visit some piglets after. Oink oink. (random i know.)


On Saturday, Amy and I headed down to Seattle! It was raining upon leaving Canada but was blue sky and brilliantly sunny all day there, so it was great to wander around and enjoy the beautiful day! We went to my favorite bakery and enjoyed amazing sandwiches.
This is a picture of my fave sandwich. My friend Alisha and I discovered these sandwiches a few months ago and we often talk about how incredibly amazing they were. So I took this picture for her. :)

We found an amazing butterfly dress. Figure I'll wear it to church next Sunday.

We reflected a bit.

And then went to see 'On the Town', a musical which was actually quite great! had a bunch of sailors in it and the choreography and singing and the mix of songs were excellent! I love being introduced to new musicals!

On the drive back, we were feeling random and had all the time in the world, so we took a little detour to La Connor and definitely yelled and cheered about tulips on the drive there. When we arrived, most of the fields have already been dead-headed for the season, but we caught glimpses.. and we stopped to take a couple pics since it was late and most of the tulip fields were closed for the day.

But it gave me a great idea for Sunday! After church, I took Brooke down to celebrate her birthday! It was a delightful day and the tulips were incredibly stunning and breathtaking! I had seen numerous tulip pics on people's blogs and facebook profiles, so I decided I wanted to go find some tulips too!

Love the rows upon rows of different colours!

We had fun posing in the tulips too!
Except my flip flops kept suctioning in the mud and when I would go to walk away, I would lose my shoes and step in mud. hahaha



These were my favorites.


We saw a little girl running through the tulips and Brooke suddenly had an urge to do the same (okay, I may have forced her to. haha. but she was a willing tulip runner)

Brooke also took the liberty of taking numerous pics of herself while I was taking a photo for some other people. Whenever people ask me to take their photo, I always take a photo of myself on their camera without them seeing (hopefully). I just think it's quite funny that later when they look at their photos, they will have a random picture of some girl... at least they'll know who took the picture!


This weekend was also spent celebrating the Canucks' win in round one! Although i don't have cable to watch it on, I am lucky enough to invite myself over to my friends' house to enjoy the game there!!
I also celebrated Kristen finishing her undergrad degree! Woohoo!! I tagged along with her and Chris and we went for dinner and to go see 'How to tame a dragon', which I thought was really cute and well done! I enjoyed it a lot! And the new 3d glasses make it much less annoying to watch 3D movies!


This week holds some downtime, as well as the Simon and Garfunkel concert! wooh! So excited for that! And then a roadtrip this weekend which I'm stoked for!
And today, well I'm excited for the mail to come.. because I get my Antarctica photo book AND hopefully I will get my GRE scores!

have a great day!

2 comments:

Elsie said...

You packed a lot of fun into that week - enjoy your down time and Simon and Garfunkel (I thought they broke up years ago!)

Laura said...

TSK! There are NUMEROUS signs that tell you not to step in the rows, but there are numerous pictures of you in the rows! (I did the exact same thing. I even took a picture, just like last year, of me walking between the rows with the sign in the picture. Some rules are dumb, and thus I ignore them.) But I do love your tulip pictures. And also the fashion show.

ps - I disagree with you about the 3D glasses. Unless they've changed again since Avatar. Have they changed again since Avatar?