Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tape, Tomorrow, Thesis

Happy Thursday! This is me sporting my new friend George, the massive, prehistoric tape player that shall be my friend for the next week. Right now I"m writing a paper on the connections between psychotherapy (counseling) and spirituality. So I'm interviewing five different people, hence the need for George. It's been great so far. Today I went and interviewed a counselor who counsels mainly from a Buddhist background and it was great to hear her insight and to hear her account of spirituality within her practice. I'm excited for the other people I will interview and then to finally bring it all together in a paper! Wooh! :) Although this directed study is a lot more work than simply attending classes, I love doing this type of stuff so much more as I can get into research and do my own thing with it.


Tomorrow I hope to finish up my thesis, which would mean one of my classes would be finished (except for a presentation on Monday). I have 10 page paper due on the 30th. I thought the 30th was way at the end of the month. Turns out that's this Monday. Shucks. Better get on that.

It was interesting in the interview today as she mentioned that one of her main things is to teach people to be kind to themselves. To see what you're saying to yourself and perhaps to reframe it and take out the stuff that isn't true in an effort to be kind to ourselves. And once we've learned that, we can be kind with others out of that. Interesting that you could replace the word "kind" with "love" or many other words. It seems that only when we love and respect ourselves and treat ourselves with that respect as though we are valuable that we can truly treat others in the same fashion. So, be kind to yourself today, because you're worth it! (okay that was slightly cliche, but I had to say it.. haha)

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Elsie said...

Sounds like a fun project, and good old George must be so happy to come out of retirement and record all those fascinating interviews. Good luck with all the last assignments.....you're almost done!!

Chrys said...

Sounds like fun! It must be interesting to hear different viewpoints and ways of thinking. Have fun with George!