Saturday, April 12, 2008

Lists, Laziness and Labyrinths

Yesterday I was feeling unmotivated to do much and so I made a list of all the things I need to do in the next two weeks so I can stop worrying about it and know that it's down on the paper. That way I don't have to think about it anymore and it's on the paper where it needs to be. Oh how I love lists!
Last night Chrystal and I went to see Mamma Mia at the Q.E. We went for dinner first which was pretty fun. The musical was great- so much fun! It was better than I remember it being the last time I saw it. Chrystal then stayed for night which was pretty fun. Always funny how you can be exhausted up until the point you get into bed and then suddenly you're wired and can't stop talking.. Okay, maybe that's just me. I was a little sad this morning to go and see that my car had been keyed down both sides of it. Huge white streaks and gouges in my doors are not nice sites. Argh.. makes me angry at the people who somehow think it's a funny thing to do.
Last night we got home to this sight.. haha.. The DVD playing was super loud that I could barely walk into the room.. yet all three of them were fast asleep!! So I thought I'd snap a picture for fun. :)

This morning and early afternoon Chrystal and I were feeling pretty lazy. Didn't really feel like doing anything so we kind of just hung around.. but that was nice and relaxing. My body was feeling pretty sore after riding bike yesterday for the first time in a while!! So after Chrystal left I decided to try and make my body a little bit more sore...


Last summer I went on a retreat course about Psychology and Spirituality. This is where I first introduced to the labyrinth. Most people don't really know the significance of it as I did not, and it's kind of hard to explain, but I will try a little farther down. Anyway, while taking the course, we had the chance to go walk a labyrinth up in the woods. I found it to be a really neat way of connecting with myself and with God and wanted to do it more. So, I decided I wanted to build one at home in the woods next to my house. I put it on my list of 100 things to do before I die (which I will call my Bucket List) and have not yet done it.

Today because it was so sunny, I decided to go brave the outdoors and start building it! I decided to build it with whatever I could find, which ended up being large rocks, pieces of wood, trees and pipes. So my day consisted of cutting down trees, digging up and carrying big rocks and big chunks of trees. I was out there for about five hours and it was fantastic. I was full of dirt and bugs but that added to the fun! Needless to say, after five hours, when I stopped, my body suddenly realized what I had done to it and suddenly everything hurt and I was exhausted!! A nice dip in the pool felt good but my body is still pretty sore-can't wait til I wake up tomorrow!Above is a picture of your classical labyrinth. They come in all different designs and can be found in a lot of cathedrals in Europe and in some gardens. A labyrinth is like a maze, except for the fact that there is only one path. The path ends at the center and then you must turn around and go back out. It is something that has a ton of history and has been used for hundreds of years (history that i'm not too familiar with, because i have only recently been looking into it). Anyway, it's a practice of spirituality, and it's really neat. Here's a couple of quotes from a book called "Labyrinths" (go figure on the title).

"The labyrinth is an archetypal image of life, a mirror of the soul. In the labyrinth I rediscover myself on my path through life. At birth I'm invited to enter upon this path. I'm led to turnings and challenges in order to persevere through them, equipped with an unquenchable longing for the center. I'm led to the center yet forced to turn away from it again and again in order to move ahead. I experience desolate frontiers and doubts and the recurrent feeling that this path will never get me anywhere. Nevertheless the center holds me fast; it won't let me fall out of its orbit."

"The labyrinth is a sacred tool for knowing; an image that connects us to God, the world, and ourselves. There is something of mystery in it, and at the same time a fascinating clarity and perfection. It reveals something of our mysterious being to ourselves and offers us a glimpse of the beauty and harmony of the universe in which we are cradled." -Gernot Candolini

And so continues my journey of life and my journey with the labyrinth. If anyone ever wants to come check it out, let me know!! :)

Updated Countdown:
14 days until I leave for Guatemala
10 days until Leslie visits!
9 days until exams are done!
1 more day until I'm done with Starbucks forever! (YAY!)
Be sure to swing by from 5:45am -12:15 at Mt Lehman if you want to say hello! :)

Hope you all have a wonderful evening! I'm off to make my list a little longer and to journal and then sleep before work tomorrow!! Adios!

5 comments:

Chrys said...

Wow, you were busy after I left! I went for a walk/jog with the dogs when I got home, so I wasn't lazy the WHOLE day :)
I also loved Mamma Mia! Such a fun night. Thanks!

girlofclay said...

That's a good idea... I need to make a list. I so look forward to my days off so I can 'get stuff done', but when the day comes I waste so much of it because I have no motivation to get started and often don't even remember what it was I was to start on! Thanks for the reminder of the good ol'fashioned list. Just don't lose it! ;) I'm enjoying your blog, Vanessa. Thanks!

Elsie said...

I never thought of a labyrinth that way before......what an intriguing idea! I can just imagine you chopping down trees and hauling heavy rocks, making this amazing labyrinth in the woods. Such fun!! I hope you have many happy moments of reflection there.

Lisa Lu said...

It's probably your brother but my goodness that guy at the top of the one picture looks like Ben Friesen! Hahaha! Love the blog!

Jaydes said...

Your car got keyed? That's horrible! That didn't happen in your own drive way did it?