Thursday, January 10, 2008

Pain, Philosophy, Possible

So I have decided that my headache is actually a migraine, which is something foreign and new to me. It hurts when I move my eye, my eye is incredibly light sensitive and a few times today I have almost started crying because the pain has been so bad. I really just want this to go away so that I can enjoy the start of this semester and get into the swing of things. For now, I can't read, can't look at lights often and it hurts to talk because of my throat. Hmm.. perhaps I'll go to the doctor tomorrow.

Today in my Philosophy of Religion class, we were discussing the notion that this world that God created is the best of all possible worlds. And God's wisdom and goodness prompted to create the best possible world. A world that does include evil, but the good that is in it is much greater. Here's a quote from an article we had to read by Leibniz:

"The best course is not always that one which tends towards avoiding evil, since it is possible that the evil may be accompanied by a greater good. For example, the general of an army will prefer a great victory with a slight wound to a state of affairs without wound and without victory. An imperfection in the part may be required for a greater perfection in the whole."

Interesting thoughts. And I'm just scraping the surface of it. It'll be interesting reading the different responses and arguments against these ideas. Anyway, food for thought-sorry if it doesn't make sense.. it's a small piece of a bigger argument, but I have thought it really interesting.

Anyway, off to bed (before midnight!) and so that I can get better! Hopefully a picture post will come soon!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

OH DEAR! Well, at least if your not feeling good I don't have to worry about my jam jams!!! hahaha
Sleep well my friend!