Friday, November 7, 2008

Mail, Mraz, Method, Meaning, Mystery

Happy Friday!! My morning class was cancelled today which I was pretty excited for. Actually I missed class on Wednesday (first time in my university time ever missing class for my own reasons) and it was announced and everyone was told to not tell the people who came late or the people who weren't there, so that we'd show up this morning. Kind of funny and tricky, but I'm glad I found out ahead of time, otherwise I think I would have been fairly angry. As of now I'm slightly disappointed about not finding out for many reasons, but I'm just glad I'm in bed and not at school right now!!

I love getting snail mail and the other day got a letter from a friend of mine in Quebec. I met her when I went to a church out there and she visited me a couple times when I lived in Quebec and now we keep in touch through the mail. It's always so great getting her letters. They're in French of course and I write her in French too. Sometimes I feel limited with what I can tell her, because my vocabulary is not that expansive, but I love the fact that I can communicate in another language with someone! And I love that I can get mail because that always excites me!

I have become obsessed with Jason Mraz and his song "I'm Yours". Love it. Have actually never heard any of his other songs, but i love this one so much that I just keep listening to it over and over again! haha...

I am excited for this long weekend. I am off on a journey which I will write about more later so you'll have to stay tuned. I'm hoping to get a bit more of my method completed though (for my thesis). RIght now I wish I wasn't doing a thesis, but I guess I just need to slug it out until April. I have two big research papers due beginning of December and took about 10 books out for those papers yesterday. This is me tryign to work ahead of time. most likely the books will sit there for quite some time and I won't start until right before, but hopefully this time I can actually finish early! We'll see! :)

Lately I have realized that where my focus is greatly affects my daily mood and actions. On Wednesday the two classes I had were slightly depressing and it made me stop and wonder what in the world we're all doing here and if there was any hope for change, etc. It was quite dismal, and I felt myself going down that route of feeling quite dismal myself, but then I realized that I so easily forget Christ as my hope. And despite everything around me, I can look to Him. And even if I don't have anything specific to hope for, I can be filled with hope and expectancy. That's something to get excited about. So I have been trying to focus on that and have been feeling inspired in the sense of being excited about what God's going to do. What He's going to do in and through my life, in other people's lives and so forth. I have never been at a place with so much unknowingness, but it is indeed exciting!!

Stay tuned for my mystery reading break trip!!

2 comments:

Elsie said...

I say AMEN to your last paragraph. The battle is in the mind. When your emotions are like a runaway train, your mind needs to take over, put on the brakes, and remind you that God is who He says He is and He can do what He says He can do. We're studying Ephesians in our Bible Study, and the first three chapters are filled with all the blessings we have in Christ. A good reminder for all of us!

Chrys said...

I can't believe I missed commenting on one! Sorry :)
I actually love "I'm Yours" a lot more since my bday weekend - I liked it before, but after you played it over and over and over in my car I just cant' stop listening to it!