Saturday, November 1, 2008

Absent, Actober, Agassiz

Hi all!

Sorry for the absence in writing on here. Things have been a bit nutso this week and every time I have thought about blogging I have not had much to think of to put on! It's November already which is absolutely insane! Seems like the fall is flying by so incredibly fast. But I'm super excited that Christmas is coming along with the end of the semester that seems to have been the most insane so far! I am hoping that November will be a bit nicer... :)

This last week has been good. Thursday I had the opportunity to lead two workshops on student leadership at a Christian high school leadership conference. I talked about what I would have done differently as a leader in high school if I knew what I know now. Very interesting to think about. I surveyed a bunch of people and got a one to two line quote from them which was great to include on there-was a good mix of thoughts from people.

Last night Kaeli and Chrystal came over to carve pumpkins which was fun. For the first time EVER I had trick-or-treaters!!! So fun!! All my life I have lived in the boons where no kids come and so it was really fun to actually live somewhere this time around where we got kids who came to the door! Very fun to see all the different costumes! :)

Tonight I went to church and then to Chrystal's for a movie afterwards. It was one of those services where you walk away convicted. Least I did. Hit me right at home-talking about the things we say about others.. ah. guilty. something to keep in mind and keep working on though!

Tomorrow Lindie is coming to visit!!! YAY! I have two papers to write before she comes (got 12 hours) so that I won't have to paper write while she's here, but I think it should work out well!!

Yesterday I also went for a tour of a maximum security prison out in Agassiz, called Kent. It was super interesting to see inside the prison and actually see what things are like and so forth. It has been really interesting in my classes lately to see perhaps where my heart leans towards working in corrections. And working with criminals. A lot of people's responses to people who have broken the law is repulsion, which is understandable based on the things people have done, and although I see the crimes committed as horrible, my heart breaks for the individual person and I am just filled with compassion for them.. Hmm.. Something I would have never ever ever thought about for myself, but the more I talk about it and think about it, I am actually interested in it. Haven't been passionately excited about something like this for a long time. Then again, this is in theory. We will see how it pans out in real life. I am starting to volunteer with a prison ministry program called M2W2 and so right now I will be going to Surrey Pre-Trial to visit with prisoners every other week. Just to start testing the waters.

Evidently I did have stuff to say. so hopefully I will get another blog post in soon! With pictures!! Have a great week! I'm off to enjoy my extra hour!

4 comments:

Chrys said...

I love the creativity of your title - you really couldn't come up with a better word than Actober?? hehehe.
I've always thought working in a prison would be really interesting. Hard, but interesting.

Chrys said...

I love the creativity of your title - you really couldn't come up with a better word than Actober?? hehehe.
I've always thought working in a prison would be really interesting. Hard, but interesting.

Chrys said...

I love the creativity of your title - you really couldn't come up with a better word than Actober?? hehehe.
I've always thought working in a prison would be really interesting. Hard, but interesting.

Chrys said...

hmm...not sure why that posted twice.