Sunday, November 23, 2008

Apples, Abstinence, Alcohol

First off, thanks so much for your responses on the last post. I appreciate reading your thoughts and comments on the topic. I definitely agree that everyone needs to figure out their own standards on things and figure out what's right for them. I think it's a continual process too though as we change, but always important to keep thinking about these things. Interesting point about the whole fact that we talk about these things because they are "taboo" subjects. Yet, when we look at anything in life, if used with perhaps the wrong attitude or with the wrong amount, it's really the same thing. But ya, like I mentioned, I totally respect opposing sides and am not even fully stating that I agree with one side or the other, but more just throwing the thoughts out there.

Chrystal and I went to see Hairspray today and it was fantastic!! So fun! We had caramel apples (i'm really only mentioning this so that it will tie into my alliteration title because i didn't have another awkward story to share thankfully).

Part II of my two part series. ha. series.

Abstinence. Interesting one. In a Christian setting, sex is always such a taboo topic. I grew up never really hearing about sex. Didn't know what a lot of stuff even meant until my early twenties when I figured it out in a not so safe environment. I think it would have been way better to have been introduced to sex at a young age from my parents and to be taught that it was a good thing rather than this taboo topic that nobody talks about. Seems easier to get distorted views of it from others. This semester I'm taking a class on human sexuality and we were talking about teaching your kids about sex.. and it was suggested to start as young as three. Seemed young, but then when you think about it, they'll hear it somewhere else otherwise. And it seems easier to teach what is right rather than correct wrong teaching. Not totally sure what my view on that is yet.. and I don't have kids, so haven't thought about it too much. But I think in some ways, my experience would have been better had I heard about it within the family.

Sexuality is such an interesting thing. Aside from the genital act of actually having sex, one's sexuality is far greater and encompassing than the physical aspect. We are all sexual beings and we all relate to one another in that, experiencing deeper connectedness.

So then there's the question of what one should do in relationship before marriage physically. Always an interesting one. Some think there should be black and white boundaries drawn as to what you should and should not do (which I don't agree with) and then there's some who figure as long as you're not having sex, then anything goes. Hmm.. Okay, so where's the middle ground? How do you foster intimacy in a relationship with someone and not give too much of yourself away sexually and spiritually (through the physical) that you will regret it if that relationship ever ends? Or is it impossible not to have any regrets?

I have hoardes more thoughts on this but it's late and I just feel like posting this for now. Sorry if it's slightly disjointed but that's what you get past midnight!!

3 comments:

Anneliese said...

Hi Vanessa,
Thanks for your kind note! I really appreciate the kind of young woman you are and desire to be. May God continue to guide you
and bless you in the decisions you make. A verse that means a lot to me is John 17:17 where Jesus prays that His disciples be set apart. The verse did not make much sense to me until I was a lot older than when it first was given to me. I'm still learning that the way we are set apart is by the truth of God's word . . . not in a religious way, but in a relational way where obedience comes out of gratitude for His grace. All the best with your papers.

Elsie said...

Well you could have added the word awkward in the title of this one too! Again, this is such an individual decision. There are those who don't kiss until the wedding ceremony and others who set boundaries at various stages of intimacy. It's a matter of conscience and personal conviction, something that hopefully a Christian couple will agree on as they progress in their relationship.

Yvonne said...

Oooo boy, now here's a topic that can get a conversation flaring. Definitely something that each individual couple needs to come to agreement on together. But you're right, where is the line? Even when you do set that line, how do you stop yourselves from crossing it? This isn't a question with easy answers and I know personally that it's a line that's easy to cross when you let your guard down.
As for kids and sexuality, I'm choosing to be in denial about the fact that i'll ever have to teach my kids about that:)