Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Philae, Pool, Private

Philae is a temple on an island. The whole thing had to be taken apart and put back together because of the high dam flooding it out. Amazing how many effects it had. there's a large debate over the high dam. We went and saw it, it's the biggest dam int he world and is pretty incredible considering how old it is. I did not take pictures because I didn't feel like it, but I saw a huge crocodile swimming in Lake Nasser (the lake made by the dam which happens to be the largest man made lake in the world)




This is an unfinished obelisk (those large tall pointy things at temples. I guess they just left it there int he mountain of granite where they were chiseling it out. They just chisel it out of the rock-pretty incredible because it was HUGE

1 comment:

Chrys said...

That last picture almost looks like it was taken in Greece!
It still totally boggles my mind the amazing creations that were made so many centuries ago!