Sunday, August 17, 2008

Home, Happy, Hike

Well I have arrived home after 18 days of a fantastic trip! I'll post pictures and stories little by little and that way you won't get tired of looking at them. It's nice to be home and i'm pretty sick which is no fun. Darn traveling sickness. I was sick at the beginning and got over it but since I've been home I have had gut wrenching cramps and I just don't even want to move. Fun! But I have a bit to recuperate. Dropped the class I'm taking this week so that should afford me a bit more time to get better and get lots done.

Before my first travel post, here's an updated countdown:
1 more summer class
6 more days until Quebec!
15 days until I get possession of my new place!!
18 days until I move!!

Yippee!! So yes, I bought a place in Walnut Grove and am super excited. I'll be renting out two of the rooms and ya, it should be fun. More details will come later when I move and have pics and stuff.


After 24 hours of travel we arrived in Cairo and five hours later we were on a bus headed for St. Catherine's in the Sinai region of Egypt. Normally the tour buses are full, but since it was summer and super hot, it's their low-season. So we had a full coach with only nine of us! So fun to get to know everyone and we had a great group from England, Australia, New Zealand and the States. Driving to Sinai was interesting because there are checkpoints everywhere. I guess they like keeping track of where the buses are going and so forth and to make sure no one is sneaking in who's not supposed to be there. Lots of men with guns. We arrived at our hotel which was surrounded by mountains and had a huge pool so we had a nice refreshing dip before dinner.
One of the Oases on the way

That evening we had tea in a Bedouin tent and tried smoking a sheesha, or water pipe as some call it

After going to bed at about 10, my mom and I woke up at 1am and drove to the base of the mountains. It was pitch black and all you could see was millions and millions of stars with the silhouettes of the mountains all around. We started hiking with our guide and were continually offered to rent camels to get to the top. The hike up was three hours, and just when you thought you had arrived, you had 700 stairs to climb for the last bit. My favorite was when the camel guys would follow you saying "camel, camel, camel..." I think they were waiting for us to keel over. haha.. At the top we watched the sunrise over all the mountains around there which was beautiful. As we hiked down in the daylight, I couldn't believe what we had walked.. haha.. I dont' think I would have done the hike had I seen how far I would have to go and how high! haha.. Probably why they do it in the dark (well maybe the heat factors in too..)


These two pictures are out of order, they're from the Bedouin tent and i'm too lazy to move them.


The mountains surrounding Mt. Sinai in daylight



The camels we did not ride to the top. I couldn't walk for the next day but it was worth it! haha.. I had to lift my legs to move them! :)


The burning bush

4 comments:

Chrys said...

First comment! Thanks for the heads up!
The scenery looks so amazing! You took amazing pictures as always :)
haha, I just had to re-read your post now that I'm off the phone with you. I didn't retain much the first time through!
The hike up the mountain sounds amazing! Well, the scenery part of it. Not the walking for hours part. I probably would have keeled over and rented a camel!

Yvonne said...

I think I would have pushed myself until I saw the 700 stairs - then I would have keeled over and asked for a camel:D Kudos to you for doing the whole thing!

Becky said...

You have had an awesome adventure!! You take great pictures! Ever thought of doing something with them? Photo journalist? So glad you can share portions of it with us.
You're moving! Wow, that is a big step! Walnut Grove, hmm... close enough to still come back home, yet far enough to feel like you are on your own. Good choice!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Thanks for sharing this trip with your readers. With your fantastic photography and writing, it almost feels like we've been there! Hey, you're moving into my neck of the woods.....if I ever see you around I'll introduce myself.