Monday, August 18, 2008

Deadly, Dendriga, Dangerous

So I have been waiting for two comments on my last post to post again and was thankful Chrystal left it so here are more pictures! :) Is anyone other than Chrystal reading this? hehe

On our drive back to Cairo, we took a little detour and went to see the Suez Canal. Generally no tourists are allowed seeing it and you are definitely not allowed to photograph it. Not sure why, but it's some strange rules they have. Anyway, our bus driver thought up this big plan of a detour we could take. Generally they keep track of all the tourist buses and you aren't allowed going this route but somehow we got there and got to take pictures! The police there had a word or two with the police guys but he worked it out. :)
It was pretty cool to see these giant boats going through the Suez Canal.
We drove to Cairo and went to a light and sound show at the pyramids. On the drive we got shot at which was pretty fun. haha. The bus that is, not us personally. Least that's what we think it was. I figure that makes for the better story. I have pics of the light show but will post them with my Cairo post later on. Anyway, the next day we flew to Luxor where we boarded our river boat. It was way nicer than I expected with a nice pool on top where we cold sit and enjoy drinks by the poolside watching the Nile pass by.
Our first stop was the Temple of Dendriga. Pretty much we were the only people there and so it was virtually empty which was really cool. TO be in this ancient temple all by yourself.

This is Albert and we always bugged him that he looked like Indiana Jones in his UV protection clothing.









Albert and I were offered to be taken down into the crypt. The hole we had to crawl through was pretty small as you can see in the picture but it was really cool. It was hot and crammed, but the stuff on the walls was virtually undamaged so it was neat to see the stuff down there. Thought we might get trapped down there by the guy or something cuz he ran off, but Linda (Albert's wife) knew where we were, so that was good! :)


Cleopatra's Necklace

Coming Next: Temple of Karnak in Luxor

4 comments:

Chrys said...

good thing you're not claustrophobic! Being in that crypt might have creeped me out a bit. I don't know if anyone else reads this, but at least you can always count on my comment! (2 if you need them :))
Having drinks in a pool on the Nile sounds wonderful!

kelly ens said...

Sorry - I just caught up on the last couple posts I missed. The pictures are just amazing - how incredible to have seen all those things in person! that tight space woulda been the end of me, that's for sure! i HATE small spaces like that, ESPECIALLY if they're warm/hot!
congrats on the new place - looking forward to pictures! :)

Yvonne said...

Yes, other people read it too:) I just don't have as much to comment as I would like:P
Love you pictures as always - I keep meaning to say thanks for posting so many of them. I get to live vicariously through for a little bit:)
Definitely would not have crawled through that hole. I'm getting claustrophobic just thinking about it. Kudos to you for going through!

Anonymous said...

Yes, thanks for taking pictures of that crypt because I'm sure I will never be seeing it if I have to squeeze through a small opening to get into that tight space. That would freak me out! Love the Egyptian artwork.