Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Luxor, Lazy, Luxury

Please note the time of this post. haha. I love being jet lagged... and sick because it makes me go to bed earlier and I wake up at ridiculous hours of the morning and stay up! Oh well.. Onward about the journey:

In the afternoon, we went to the Temple of Luxor. All these places when you go to them, you're kind of soaked from sweat the whole time. I usually kept my bathing suit on underneath so I could quickly jump into the pool again afterwards to refresh myself! And it worked!

Me and the pillars in the background
I found my name on the wall!! Okay I didn't.. but that's okay. :)
You'll notice the statue on the left is lacking a head. Poor guy. The other two statues have heads. Reason being is that this site was covered in sand just above the heads of those two statues. There were about eight other statues int his room that had their heads sticking out and so they got vandalized and lost their heads. too bad. It's funny, because there's a mosque built higher than this temple, because at one point it was all sand. So now you walk by the mosque and the door is in the middle of the air. haha.. crazy how sand can cover vast areas.. makes you wonder what's under the rest of the desert!

Nice pic except for the guard in my photo... i was too lazy to go cut him out
This is Paul from Toronto-he was pretty fun and crazy (although he liked to tell people he was from England just to keep Canada's reputation... hahahaha)



The Christians often came and used the temples here to hide and live when they were being persecuted. At one point they took this wall apart ( I dont' remember why) and put it back together. The funy thing is they didn't bother to see where everything went, hence the leg in the picture that is upside down! haha


Coming up next: Valley of the Kings and the Temple of Hatchepsut

3 comments:

Beck's Bulletin said...

Thanks for posting on my blog Vanessa! It's always fun to see who is reading it...looks like you and your Mom had an amazing trip. Way to go!

Lisa Lu said...

yeah for jet lag!

Chrys said...

3rd!?!? I haven't been this far behind in a while! That's what happens when you post while I'm working!
I love the picture of the upside down leg :) And I'm sure people would have believed you that you found your name in a wall. I know one gullible person for sure who would have believed you... :)