Thursday, March 24, 2011

Make-Out, Montreal, Mounds

Another aspect to Quebec that I absolutely love is the culture and the fact that I have some wonderful friendships that I have built there over the years. What I love about most people in Quebec is they are who they are. They are fairly open and honest about who they are and aren't ashamed of it. Their life motto is "Joie de vivre", the joy of living. Love it.


So when we first stopped for a bite to eat at Wendy's upon my arrival, I had to laugh at the couple that was making out at their table for the entire thirty minutes we were there.. Seriously, people? I had to take a photo...


I stayed with my friends and outside the window I always had a wonderful view of whatever fresh snow had come down the night before.


There are some great restaurants there, including a Thai place that is everyone's favorite. Good to see friends from Montreal and hang out with friends from Capernwray as well.



While I was there, the students were taken on the annual trip to the cabane a sucre, which means sugar shack, where they make the maple syrup. They have traditional Quebec dinners where you put maple syrup on everything. Starts with pea soup, then there's scrambled eggs, ham, bacon, sausage, crepes, and maple pie. Talk about a sugar high.






After the meal you get to enjoy tire, which is boiled maple syrup poured on snow. You take a popsicle stick and roll it up on there for a tasty treat. When I was in elementary school, we always did this in our studies of Quebec at their annual festival of Carnaval. I was in French Immersion so we got neat opportunities to learn about such things.




Another thing I love about Capernwray is the honesty and openness of people there. I love that you can meet someone and suddenly be friends and conversations can be really open and honest.


Brandis and I started and finished a puzzle which was a lot of fun. Kind of crazy with all the people in it, but we enjoyed it.


I was able to help out a bit with the men's retreat as well. Fun to do dishes and clean-ups again and gave me a glimpse of different aspect of life there, especially during the summer. For their retreats, they always do a pie phenomenon with a coffee bar and a pie bar. Incredible.


Me and some of the female staff.


Lisa putting the final touches on the blueberry pie.


We decided to make up fruit of the spirit exercise poses. And for some reason, everything seemed extra funny that night. Love those moments.


Pies!

And thus concludes my time in Quebec. It was a wonderful two weeks. A great mix of relaxing, working, playing with kids, connecting with the staff and students, visiting friends in the community and sitting in on classes as well. I can't wait to go back and actually be a more permanent part of the community there! :)

No comments: