Thursday, January 13, 2011

Saskatchewan, Snow, Sizzling

Greetings from Saskatchewan!

Saskatchewan is cold. And because Regina has weird rules about where you can park and not being able to have cords across the sidewalks, Bethany was unable to plug in her car last night. And when it's -30 degrees outside overnight, car batteries get killed viciously.


This morning we were all set to go on our trek to Moose Jaw, but the dead car battery stopped us. And when we were unable to jump the car ourselves with a friend's help, we had to resort to ordering delivery pizza, and cozying ourselves in for an indoor day. Remember when you used to have indoor days at school and you just got to stay inside doing fun inside things? That's today and I love it.


Bethany is pretty awesome. We were roommates during my second year at Bible School and I love her dearly. She's been out a few times to visit me and I keep saying I will make it out to Saskatchewan to visit and haven't, so this time I finally did! And I love the wintery snowiness of it! Although I do wish I owned a winter jacket. And I was reminded this morning that jeans are the worst possible article of clothing to wear when it is cold outside. Thankfully the house is nice and toasty with a nice fire going.


I then proceeded to take some pictures from the porch.. because it was slightly warmer than it had been outside.


The one above is one of my favourites.


When Bethany and I were roommates, we used to always wonder why we never fought but most of the other rooms seemed to have big fights. We wondered if it was true that you need to have a good fight to go deeper in a friendship, so we figured, we didn't want to risk it, so we would have staged, pretend fights, that would result in yelling about non-existent problems and throwing clothes at each other. I feel like we've been closer ever since then.


Above is Bethany phoning for help to jumpstart the car. Below is us out for dinner for Japanese which was excellent. I was doubtful at first, but it was super tasty!


And Regina has random art everywhere, including some murals, of which my favourite is pictured below. I also enjoy that there is falling snow in the forefront as well.




There are still a few Christmas decorations up, including some mistletoe, so Bethany and I decided we should probably pose by it...


I love the snowy streets here! Sometimes I wish I lived somewhere with real winter, but I do love it on the West Coast because we have the perfect blend of rainy days and beautiful sunny ones. But it's nice to visit friends who live in real winterland! (except when cars don't start in the morning.. but that just makes for fun indoor days!)


Here's the car jumping in action. Actually this was the failed attempt. A few hours later CAA helped us with getting it started. And then Bethany proceeded to drive around for an hour just to make sure it wouldn't poop out again.




Carmen and Bethany


Classic Saskatchewan license plate. Go Roughriders!

Now onto Ontario, sadly skipping Manitoba. I have loved Saskatchewan and look forward to returning in the summer!

1 comment:

Elsie said...

The wreath on the door is a lovely picture, and I also like the one of the tree-lined street and apartment buildings. I'm with you - it's nice to visit friends in real winterland, but it's great to live in a place where we don't have to shovel snow for months at a time and never have to plug in our cars.