Friday, January 14, 2011

Drifts, Drive, Delights

Snowdrifts are becoming a new favorite thing of mine. I don't know why, but I feel like I am rediscovering my love of winter all over again. The whimsical feeling of snow falling across the streetlamps, piles of snow on houses and vehicles, snow dancing and drifting across the roads and sidewalks, and that biting chill you feel as you step outside, not to mention the nose hairs freezing in cold temperatures.


I love it. Snow has this effect of making me want to dance around and twirl with my arms wide open, taking it all in. Being still in the silence that is created by the barrier of snow over everything. It's wonderful.


The other night it was kind of stormy and wind-blowy (new word) and we went for a drive around the city of Regina. It was delightful (as long as I don't have to drive).


I have heard reports of snow back home, which I was sad to miss, but it's also fun to be in a place where snow is the norm and it just keeps building up as winter continues.


Another thing I am thankful for is friendships. Pre-existing and new. I love my friends and am so grateful I can keep in touch with me via letters, internet and visiting in person. How blessed am I with so many wonderful people in my life! And even further, I am blessed by meeting the friends of my wonderful friends (who are all amazing, as a reflection of those they are friends with).


So today I am thankful for snow. And for meeting new people. And not just shaking their hands and trying to remember their names. But people you can instantly click with, joke around with and laugh with. People you can engage in interesting conversations and learn more about their lives and where they have been.


So these are a few of my favorite things, and I am grateful for these things and more.


And grateful especially for the fact that the snow sparkles like diamonds at every turn. Stunning!


Hope you find delight in some of your favorite things today! I shall continue my Canada friend visiting trek and hope you are loving and enjoying the little delights that each day brings!

1 comment:

Elsie said...

You are blessed with all those great friends! Love the sparkly snow picture. You didn't miss much - the snow back home fell beautifully all night and by morning it was raining and is now mostly gone. I wish we could have just a couple of weeks of true snowy winter (with some wind-blowiness too : )