Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Banff, Birthdays, Being

Birthdays are grand. Some people dread them and wish they would not come as a reminder of one's age. Yet, I think there's something incredibly wonderful about them. A celebration of LIFE. A celebration of YOU. The blessing you are the others, the blessings in one's life, and just the fact that you are alive. So I like birthdays and I like to wish people a happy birthday and to enjoy their birthdays with them.


So, when Jenn told me she was planning a party for her birthday, I was excited, because I had that weekend free to come to Calgary and celebrate as grand as we could and to fill our time with adventure and spontaneity and fun.


To dance, laugh, chat, drive, enjoy beautiful views, eat good food, freeze to death, talk until the wee hours of the morning and so on. Life is beautiful and wonderful and it is delightful to celebrate it with those you love.


I arrived Friday night and after a lot of talking, we finally drifted off to sleep. Then after wishing Jenn a happy birthday 10 million times, we went out for Dim Sum with some friends of hers and with her parents. So tasty! And fun to meet new people as well!


And I decided I need to find a dim sum place I like back home. Because it's tasty and super fun and you can try random and new things. Like when I was walking out, I noticed chicken legs and feet. Maybe next time...


After brunch, we headed to Banff with lindie. I love jokes that keep going, make themselves into new forms and then you find signs about them. A few years ago, Lindie met a guy from bible school when we were in the states. And somehow in the course of the conversation, she told him "your state is kind of dumpy." Anyway.. we have not stopped bugging her since and when we saw this sign, we thought it was absolutely perfect.


Cedric also had fun walking around Banf, but he met some menacing characters...




This toque was exceptionally warm and perhaps would have kept me far warmer than I was. Wearing really thin sweatshirts in very cold weather = dumb idea.


Lindie was so excited to go to the candy store, until she found out she couldn't buy any pez.



Banff was chilly, but stunning at every turn and fun to walk around and explore and see waterfalls. I love the excitement of being with friends on an adventure and how the possibilities of what you can do open up and every single thing that is mentioned sounds great and after a while, every sentence is started with, "Next time, let's..." I love the prospect of next time and the wonderful fun things we shall continue to do and to simply enjoy the moment and the randomness of it all.








We were turning a corner, and suddenly a whole row of elk came out of the woods! How delightful and well-timed!




And since Jenn and I have a tradition of seeing nice country churches when we're together, we decided to stop at this historic spot for a couple photos!








And of course, one must always try on animal toques and take photos when they are around.


And funny glasses would be included in that category as well.


Then after getting good and cold (which only took 5 seconds, but why not let it really sink in over a few hours?), we went to Banff Hot Springs.


It was wonderfully warm and comfortable with a nice view of trees, mountains and dusk all around.


The best part? Cedric (the gnome) joined us in the pools and helped us meet some people. Started some good conversations and they even wanted to take a picture with Cedric as well. He's a pretty popular guy.


And then we drove to Calgary into very snowy random drifts and windyness. A part of the trans-canada was even closed because it was so nasty. Then Aussie Rules, a dueling piano bar in the evening, where we met up with a bunch of Jenn's friends. I got to chat with her friend who had been to New Zealand for a few months and loved it, so it was super fun to share stories and our joint love of such a beautiful place. Made me want to go back. asap.

Sunday was a relaxing day and then we went to my friend Jacquelyn's for tea in the afternoon and then for dinner to one of my most favourite restaurants (glad I have fave restaurants in Calgary) with my cousin and her boyfriend.

Then I headed to the airport where flight delays made me happy for once in my life because I got to see my dear friend Anne who was passing through the airport on her way back to Edmonton. And after saying goodbye to her and boarding my flight, I got to see her an hour later, when I had to get off my broken plane and wait to board a different one.



All in all a delightful time in Alberta. I arrived in Saskatchewan at 2:00am in the wee hours of monday morning. -16 temperatures and snowyness welcomed me and I embraced them! And spending 3 full days with an old roommate whom I love dearly sounds delightful! I think we shall perhaps even go visit a giant moose soon!! Yippee! :)

Hope you are all enjoying your week!

1 comment:

Elsie said...

Great attitude towards birthdays - every year of life should be celebrated, not dreaded. Looks like your new year is off to a great start with another delightful adventure!