Thursday, May 22, 2008

Ruins, Really, Run-down

Yesterday was really cool. We went to see a bunch of Inca ruins. Fascinating to think of how they must have built these amazing structures of stone and even cut the stone with who knows what kind of equipment! It´s a mystery. Really sad to see though how when the Spanish came they came and tried to destroy a lot of their places where they lived.

In the afternoon there was this crazy big procession. I guess there´s a huge Catholic holiday here today and so yesterday, they had the preparation celebrations. THey take all the statues of saints out of the churches, put them on big floats and carry them around in huge processions of people surrounded by marching brass bands and dancers in traditional clothing. Crazy amounts of people and hoardes of people there to watch. There were probably at least 20 huge statues they were carrying around. THey almost dropped one of them too.. haha.. there was a big gasp in the audience.. luckily it did not fall. Today is the actual holiday so i can´t imagine what the festivities will be like! We also went to see the church and the Temple of the Sun which was interesting and enlightening.

Today we head to the Sacred Valley for two nights where our hotel will have a pool!! funny that that´s what i´m excited for, but i really miss swimming so i will look forward to that tonight! Plus all the cool stuff we´ll see of course. Oh and I bought the coolest painting yesterday!! Fell in love with it actually. THe painter is famous and I got to meet him and take a picture with him. I will take pics of all my paintings when I get home and post them for you guys to see. Now I just need a house to hang them all in!!!

P.S. Does anyone besides Amy and Chrystal still read this blog?? Or is it just that no one comments? I´m just curious...

See you all later! Miss you!! Oh and still sick.. hahaha

4 comments:

Lisa Lu said...

still reading!!!

Chrys said...

haha, it totally caught me off guard to see my name in the post! :) I'm excited to see your new picture!
The Incans are a pretty fascinating culture to learn about, I think.

Elsie said...

Silently reading and enjoying your posts.........

Yvonne said...

Still reading! Just don't comment as often as I should:) Love reading about all your travels - especially Peru!!!