Friday, May 16, 2008

Coffee, Community, Cwiz, Convent

Yesterday morning we went to a tailor's house to see how things were happening and so that was pretty fun. The whole family is into different businesses and so it was neat to hear all about the different work that they are involved in. Then in the afternoon, Del, Hannah and I headed to Antigua and checked out some ruins. The ruins were of an old monastary that was destroyed by earthquake. It was really cool because you could walk all around the inside and there were just huge stones lying around that you could walk around and over. It was really fun to explore all the different rooms of the convent and to explore a bunch. Then we went to sit in McDonalds to enjoy the atmosphere.. Okay, so you might laugh at that, but it's actually the nicest McDonald's i've ever been in. They had a huge courtyard with gardens and a bit fountain and it really was beautiful and breathtaking. Really relaxing actually.

This morning we had a quiz.. and in case you guys are wondering about my mispelling of quiz in my title... I asked the people around me some words starting with C that i could put for my blog title and "cwiz" was what Ron (one of my profs) told me that I should put that and that's how you spell it. There you go-amazing things you can learn in university.

This morning we went to a coffee plantation and it was cool. We went to where the fields are and saw a coffee plant being planted.. we got to dig a hole too. Then we went to the farmer's house and watched all the different stages the coffee goes through-very labor intensive. Then we went into the kitchen and roasted the coffee over the fire. I got to help roast it! Then we ground it on a rock block. I got to help grind it too. Then we drank it and it was probably the best cup of coffee I have ever had! Yum! Now I smell like a big coffee bean.

And the lunch bell just rang, so I'm off! BYE!

1 comment:

Chrys said...

Wow, I go away for 5 days and get completely behind on your blog! I'm glad your time in Guatemala was fun, and I'm sure Peru and Ecuador will be just as fun and exciting!!