Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Middle, Mundo, ´membering (re), memories

Hola from Quito! Last night, my mom and I went to her cousin Desi´s for dinner. I had never met her so it was fun to meet her, one of her sons and her friend Alex. We had a great time chatting together and just enjoying each other´s company. This morning Desi and Alex picked us up and we headed to the basilica to tour it and also went to a cathedral that is pretty much all made with 24kt gold.. everything is plated in gold and it´s beautiful. Then we went to the middle of the world!! Fun! I got to stand in the northern hemisphere and the southern hemisphere at the same time!

Still not feeling good but bought a bunch of different drugs today that are supposed to get rid of amoebas and parasites.. you can buy any drug you want here over the counter with no prescriptions, so that´s kind of nice and hopefully it will indeed help!

Today marks seven years since the day Leon died. It´s kind of crazy to think that seven years has already passed by. It was interesting being in Belize a couple weeks ago (can´t remember if I mentioned it in my blog or not.. so sorry if this is repeat), because the last family holiday we all took together was to Belize and i had let myself push aside the memories and when i saw some of the same places we had stayed at the last time, it brought back a flood of memories and it was so good. But ya, I miss him lots, especially today, just thinking back to the last time I saw him as he rode off on his bike and all the different emotions that accompany that. I´m a little homesick right now too so it´s hard not being home right now with everything combined. But to remember is good and that´s what I´ve done a bit of today so that has been good.

Tomorrow morning we get picked up at 5:50am for our flight to Galapagos Islands where we will board our sailboat for the next eight days. Hopefully I´ll be feeling better because currently the room feels like it´s spinning and I feel like I might fall over. Probably not good to have such feelings while swimming! haha.. Don´t think i´ll have internet access for the next week, but who knows, but wanted to write one last post before I went sailing away. Bye all! Miss you!

3 comments:

Chrys said...

no internet? What am I going to do? I'll end up sending you a ton of emails that will just be like one-sided conversations. Should be interesting for you when you read them all!
Thinking of you tonight as you remember and deal with all that goes along with that.
I just have to say that I never cease to be impressed by the titles of your posts. So creative!

Elsie said...

You are such a trooper! It seems like you would enjoy the sailing trip even if you were still sick, but I hope the medication kicks in quickly so you can savor every moment of this amazing trip!

vfehr said...

Hey Vanessa! I've loved following your adventures. I'm thinking of you! love ya lots and can't wait for coffee together (or how about sushi or something?) when you get home! enjoy the rest of your trip!