Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's, V-day, Vanessa

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Since it's Valentine's Day and everyone is probably giving a shout out to their loved ones, I figured I'd give a shout out to my favourite, most faithful Valentine: Chrystal!



Chrystal is one of my oldest friends (not age, but rather in time that we've known each other) and the date at which we "met" is debatable.

I joke that we've been friends since we were babies, because we were dedicated together on the same day in the church both our parents' attended. Of course, we didn't become friends until years later, but I love the fact that in some wonderful way, God knew we would become wonderful friends and it's like that moment was a glimpse into something that would come 16 years later.

Quite a few years later, our families were both at the same church again, but a different church this time and we went on a missions/student equipping trip together but didn't interact much. Finally in our grade eleven year of high school, we were locker buddies. Our lockers were side by side and we'd chat every morning. At a friend's birthday party in November, we somehow became instant friends by making lists of why it was better to be the other person and hanging them in each others' lockers. From that day on we were inseparable.


I have loved having Chrystal as a friend and cherish our years together and the many to come. I love that we have grown together and watched each other grow and change through life's journeys. What I especially love is that we are opposites in almost everything. But I am continually encouraged and challenged to see life from another perspective unlike my own, but that is so good and refreshing.

Thankfully we do have some things in common such as our love of musicals, games and movie theater popcorn. (Well there are other common things, but those are some of my faves).


Chrystal has always been there for me and has been such a good friend along the way. She is loyal and kind and cares and loves for others with all her heart. I love that we can watch movies together, play board games for hours on ends, giggle about silly little things, have good long chats, go for random car rides together and study for exams in the pool. There are so many memories and things I cherish about our friendship of 10 years and I'm excited for the many more to come.


So since we don't have an exact date of our friendship beginning, we decided we would make Valentine's the anniversary of our friendship and so we'd always have a Valentine. Unfortunately, I'm the worst Valentine ever and somehow am always away on that day. But we celebrate from afar nonetheless. If we were together every year, we'd probably get deathly ill from all the cinnamon hearts and message hearts we'd consume.


{no idea what we're sad about in this picture, but Chrystal doesn't actually look THAT sad}

So here's to an amazing 10 years of friendship! Thanks for always being there Chrystal, and I look forward to where our journeys will take us and to many more laughs, talks and random fun we shall enjoy together. Happy Valentine's! :)

Hope you all enjoy your hearts day and take time to really appreciate people you love in your life!

No comments: