Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Epcot, Experts, Electrical

I wasn't planning on going to Florida this year. But when my brother texted me and invited me to join him and Colleen in Disneyworld for three days, I couldn't resist. I got good flight deals and figured it was a great opportunity for some good, quality time with family!


My first visit to Florida and I loved it! (and it is only a 3 hour flight from Montreal I might add...) It was nice and hot too. At first we were confused as to how the whole Disneyworld thing worked. Then we discovered that they have four separate parks to go to. Crazy. I like to think of it as a brilliant money making scheme, but perhaps it's also helpful in keeping hoardes of people apart from each other. Needless to say, Disneyworld is MASSIVE. It even has its own highway system.


The first day we got there, we went to Magic Kingdom, which traditionally is more like Disneyland in California. Similar rides with a few different ones. We stayed until closing and went on as many rides and to as many shows as possible!


The Disney castle in Disneyworld is way bigger than the one in Cali! But there weren't too many crowds and lineups were fantastically short. Either than or we're Disney experts.


It's a small world was wonderful as always. Some people hate the ride, but I enjoy all the different cultures and countries it passes through. And I try singing along every time which results in me having that not annoying at all song stuck in my head all day. Delightful. Of course, the entire ride, my brother was just trying to push our boat along faster so we could hit the boats in front of us.


And then there's the turkey legs. Sigh. I have always seen them while at Disneyland and they smell tasty, but look disgusting. And funny. When people are walking by chomping away at a huge chunk of meat. It looks slightly barbaric. But my brother and I figured it would be fun nonetheless. And it was.


And the parades! And the fireworks! And the light shows! All spectacular!


The next day we went to Animal Kingdom which is a mix between awesome rides and amazing decor and a zoo/reserve. They have a safari you can go on where you see real live elephants, rhinos, lions, monkeys, tigers and so forth. Crazy. And the rides are awesome. And when you're walking in the Asia or Africa sections, you feel like you're there in a way. And then you see screaming/crying children being wheeled by and you recall that you are in the happiest place on earth.


Mt. Everest was a pretty awesome rollercoaster. Especially since you didn't know what to expect. But when suddenly you are flying backwards, with no idea of where this ride is going, it is a bit scary. Well, for Colleen it was probably scary (judging by her screams) and I would just sit there giggling uncontrollably. When people scream, I laugh. We'll call it nervous laughter so I don't look like a bad person that laughs at people screaming.


Monkeys!! It was fun to wander around and just see different animals everywhere. Random. But cool. Totally different park than any I'd been to.




And I discovered why rhinos are almost extinct in Africa... it's because Disney took them all to be on their safari ride.


And then we found the Triceretops Ride which we thought was awesome. Lucas was reluctant to come, but we made it seem like so much fun that he ran through the exit gate at the last minute and hopped on the ride. I'm sure he was happy he jumped on (as you can tell by his super excited face in the picture).


That afternoon we went to Epcot, which is a cross between a future type place and international. Some really fun rides and really cool displays of around the world. I enjoyed seeing what the US perceives Canada to be like. And thankfully, they had a sign put up to warn people that I might be crossing the road. Thoughtful.


And of course, it is a must when in a Disney store (or any store with random hats for that matter), to take a photo of you wearing the hats. And thankfully I didn't buy mine because it seems too small for my head.


The Epcot ball, in which you go on this neat ride and see a bunch of stuff. Okay I just made that sound like the lamest ride ever, but it wasn't. It was cool. And then it "broke" down while we were on it and we were stuck in one spot for five minutes.


Oh the streets of Disney. Upon sight of them, my heart leaps for joy because of the childlike wonder and awe that shall accompany the day once that street is walked down. And that sentence didn't make sense. In short, Disneyworld makes me excited.


In an immensely long line for my favorite Toy Story ride, Lucas and Colleen decided to try out being monkeys.


We also decided to do push ups and tricep exercises on the bars while waiting in the line-up. We enjoyed maximizing the usage of our time in line. Just like the woman I saw breastfeeding her child in line while walking. I don't have a problem with breastfeeding in public, but when there is no cover and I can see the entire thing with your child shoved there while you walk through the line to get on a ride, it is a bit strange.


On our last day, we went to Hollywood Studios. Our day was planned out immaculately so that we could see everything. Loved the Beauty and the Beast musical! So well done.




And the Muppets fountain was pretty awesome too. They make me laugh. :)


After a very full day, we went to this Old Town Fair which was quite eventful and interesting. I opted out of the go-karts because it was an uphill climb with a huge sharp drop at the bottom and I knew I would probably feel like I was going to die if I drove alongside my brother.


Downtown Disney was pretty amazing too! It's like an entire town! We went to Disney's Cirque de Soleil, 'La Nooba' and it was awesome! One of the best I've seen for sure.

All in all, a fantastic time in Disneyworld. To conclude though, Disneyland is still my fave. It was great to visit the world... but I like that Disneyland and California Adventure Land are right across from each other and they have everything right there, all walking distance. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to going again of course. ;)

Thankfully jetlag from Florida had put me on a new schedule of going to bed at 10 and waking up at 6. I quite like it. And after three days at home, I headed off to Cali with some friends to go to Disneyland (just to compare). More pics and stories from that to come!

2 comments:

Elsie said...

I've never been to Disney World but would like to go one day. Your pictures do make it look like a lot of fun, in spite of the hugeness of it. My favourite line: "and then you see screaming/crying children being wheeled by and you recall that you are in the happiest place on earth." lol

kelly ens said...

wow, that looks like some fantastic fun!!!! :)