Thursday, February 10, 2011

Heartland, Home, Hearty

Back to photos from my cross Canada trip.

And here are some photos from my time in Quebec. Also called my "heartland" because I love it so dearly.


I spent a week at the Capernwray in Quebec and it was so wonderful and refreshing. So good to connect with friends, make new friends and to connect with God in new ways. And to begin thinking about how life would change as this would become my new home in less than a year.


And the snow. Oh how I love it! In all its sparkly diamond shimmering wonderfulness. And it's not like our snow, heavy and wet. It's light and fluffy and when it's really big, it sits on top of each flake and piles up and you can see the detail of every snowflake-it's delightful.


And piles of plants half buried in snow. Trying to stay above the snow but not managing, yet beautiful in itself. I love how snow covers everything and makes all things clean and new. It's magical. And awe-inspiring. And somehow, because it mutes all noise, it brings you back to a place of stillness and peace. I can't wait for my next winter to be a real one!


And here are a couple of the wonderful staff there. So great to be in a place that you can have deep, meaningful conversations with upon first meeting them. You can be real with one another and just be totally honest. Love it. It inspires me.


And had I actually had appropriate winter clothing, I might have taken more pictures of the snow and outside, but it was freezing, so all I could manage was to fling the door open, take a few pictures and run back inside.


Ah Snow! I'm headed back to Quebec in a couple weeks and hope to enjoy some more of the white stuff before winter is quite done.


And always good when friends are willing to blow on piles of snow on behalf of creative picture taking. I love the snow blowing photo because it makes me think of the magicalness of the snow and brings me back to a place of wonder.



My week there was filled with lots of visits with friends on the property, and also friends in town. I have a couple of pen pals there as well that I keep in touch with that it is great to connect with whenever I visit.


And another one of my favorite things there is the kiddies. Love them. Only half of them were there this time around, but I LOVE them. They warm and melt my heart every time. I feel like I've been able to see glimpses of them growing up and was there when the oldest ones were born and started growing up, so it's a neat connection. And always wonderful to snuggle up on a couch on a cold, wintry day to read a book together. Or play travel. Or go outside and freeze our buns off in the snow, wind and cold.



There's a Chinese restaurant nearby as well that we always go to. My friend Jenn and I went there back when we both lived out there and the tradition continues on. We mainly go for the owner because she is wonderful and full of life! I can't wait to continue seeing her on a more regular basis and maybe even playing some tennis together in the summer!


So off to Chinese we went and it was great food and great fellowship as well!


And then Dave and I went for our traditional poutine. True Quebec cuisine. The best is from 'La Belle Province' and it has smoked meat on it. You feel disgusting after eating it, but during the process it is wonderful. And the tradition must be upheld of course. Dave and I both did our second year at school together and we were the only two second year students so we got to know each other quite well. So it's always been great to go and visit and hang out together.


And so ends my trip to Quebec! Oh, and I stayed with my lovely friend and penpal Steph and we enjoyed some good Thai, a movie and chats and did not take photos, so it is not documented in photograph form, but it was a wonderful time nonetheless!

Hope you enjoyed a little sneakpeak into my "heartland". I'm sure there will be many more photos in the future to come as I introduce you to the Quebec I know and love!

1 comment:

Katelyn said...

Nice!! I've always liked your photography... and I am really enjoying your other blog!