Sunday, November 22, 2009

Cousins, Cookies, Crazies

Tonight I am reminded of what a great family I have. A bunch of my cousins and I got together tonight to make a traditional family/Mennonite cookie that our Omi always makes. So we all went to my cousins' house in Langley and enjoyed dinner together and let the cookie making begin. Desiree and I usually make jam jams, but we were making the hidden jams which we often try to make because a couple of our cousins love them. However, usually something goes wrong. Tonight everything went off without a hitch and they were probably the best ones we've ever made! And it was a great time-lots of fun with a big group of people!

My favorite part was when I phoned my Omi to get the recipe. Here's how our coversation went:
Me: Hey Omi! Can we get the recipe for the hidden jam cookies?
Omi: Okay, let me get it. Okay, you put in (okay i don't remember the exact amounts)... sugar, honey, syrup and flour. And that's it.
Me: Um.. Aren't there spices or some other ingredients in there?
Omi: Nope, that's everything.
Me: Are you sure?
Omi: Oh... wait, yes, there's eggs, cream, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon...

Hahaha.. we had a good laugh at that one. Luckily we got the entire recipe! I took a bunch of pictures but I have no idea where my camera cord is, so once my house is back in order after all the renos after the basement flood and such, I will upload them, so something to look forward to. But I figured I'd post since I'm back to posting now and all.. :) Have a great Sunday!

2 comments:

Elsie said...

Great idea, making cookies with the cousins! Sounds like a fun time. What is it about those jam cookies - my kids love them too, and they were never a super favourite of mine. It's neat that the traditions are being carried on by the younger generation. Next, a verenike making party???

Anneliese said...

Oh, you gave me a good chuckle! That is how my mom-in-law would give a recipe ... that is how a lot of them did it! That is why we have mennonitegirlscancook!!!
I hope you post the pictures!