Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sorrow, Sending, Sushi

This last week my heart has been heavy for those around me. It seems like a lot of my friends right now are in a lot of pain. From people losing jobs to family members passing away, it seems like there's a lot of sorrow being experienced. In every conversation I have had with different friends over the past two weeks, there have been at least half a dozen times when I am sitting there, my eyes welled up with tears, wanting to sob on their behalf. Suddenly, unique compared to any other time in my life, I want to weep with those around me. My heart breaks for them. I want to take some of their pain for whatever they are facing and weep on their behalf.

When thinking of all these things, it's been easy to get into a weird zone. Of feeling sorrow, of feeling bogged down. While driving today, Matt Redman's song, 'You never let go' came on and I was reminded of the incredible hope we have in Christ and how this season is such a picture of that hope.

In these moments, I think I just want to throw out all the seemingly trivial things in life. In light of such hardship, dare I be excited about a good meal with friends, or not having to run into my house anymore to open the garage because my clicker finally has a new battery? My answer today is yes. Should I be worked up about someone cutting me off (perhaps even by accident) or think the world is going to end because not everything is the way I want it? Probably not. Puts things into perspective.


So today amidst the sadness that I know quite a few close friends are going through, I am choosing to also rejoice in the little things. Like getting a Christmas card from a friend today and seeing the pictures of her two new baby girls. Like sending out Christmas cards and newsletters to those I love and care about that and hopefully it will give them a bit excitement when they get it in the mail {side note: i would love to send any of my blog readers a Christmas card and newsletter if you would email me your mailing address at vanessa.s.maree @ gmail . com}. Like becoming a regular at a restaurant in Vancouver when I don't even live there. Like enjoying fabulous sushi with wonderful friends who bring refreshment to my soul. Like smiling over children playing together. Like cuddling with my month old niece. Like running up and down stairs chasing after my nephew. Like chatting over a cup of tea with my mom. Like reading a good book.


There's joy and hope mixed in there somewhere. And although lately everything points me back towards truly questioning if God is good and what in the world He is doing, I want to believe with every fiber of my being that He is good and that He loves us and wants the best for us and will take care of us and will indeed never let us go. So I will continue clinging to that truth and looking for the little joys of life, trusting Him and allowing Him to let me rest between His shoulders and be safe.

3 comments:

Beck's Bulletin said...

I totally get what you are saying....have been feeling the same thing with some of the heartache people around us are going through. It's good to remember that God is still good, and He is still sovereign, and He is still in the business of making us more like Him. Thanks for sharing...oh and thanks for your email addy too because our Beck Bulletins have been bouncing back! :-)

Rosanna Toews said...

May God continue to uphold you as you courageously come close to others. He is good. He is faithful. He loves us.

Anneliese said...

Yes.. may God continue to show you that He truly is good ... and one day we will see clearly what we do not see now. In the meantime, know that you are an encouragement to many because you know pain ...
We had a wonderful evening at your moms this week. She is a gem!