Thursday, May 19, 2011

Shanghai, Serenade, Silk

China! A country I would return to solely to see the Great Wall of China. Being in Shanghai for two days was an experience and it was interesting to see the culture, meet people and enjoy some amazing dimsum (so good!). I love the Chinese architecture when it is used, hated the smog that seemed to always be hovering, loved the bright reds of the maples and the watertown we went to.


The contrast of colours in trees was fantastic. So pretty!


We were told by a few different people that this man was a philosopher, or a doctor, or a teacher... not really sure who he was in the end, but I snapped a photo of him nonetheless.


In the pharmacy, you could see the different bottles resting.. Some had snakes in them and others had things that I'm not sure about.


The women were absolutely amazing at preparing the local food. The way the wrapped them with three different pieces of twine was incredible. I think I would have finished making one in the time she made twenty.


Lanterns!!


We went to a watertown that I could not pronounce or recall for the life of me. But it started with a zed.


Woman washing her clothes in the water.


I don't know why I thought this sign was funny. Perhaps because I would not want to play in that water under any circumstance.


Took a little boat ride through the canals. Very cool to see how they live. Felt a bit like I was in Venice. Except my boat steerer/driver kept hoarking. That's kind of like serenading, right?


This is their main bridge in town and I love it. There's something about it that just captures your attention.




Stopped at a silkworm factory on the way back to the ship. Fascinating! So crazy how those little worms make silk that turns into amazing blankets.


I did get myself some sheets. I figure I will have a new sized bed in Quebec and should probably have some sheets to go with it.


The lights at night in Shanghai were also quite impressive.


In Shanghai, we celebrated Mark's birthday at Pub Trivia. Mark and Cathy were two of the people on my Pub Trivia team. I suck at trivia, but love getting to know people while playing trivia!




Part of me just wanted to stay on the boat deck and watch the lights all night long. And then they turned them off at 10pm so I couldn't.


The next day my mom and I sought out one of the best known dim sum places in Shanghai (according to a woman we met who spoke English). It took us an incredibly long time to find, but the food and the experience were both magnificent! So tasty! And they did in fact bring us English instruction sheets. Guess we looked confused. haha


Forget the name of this street, but it had crazy shopping everywhere. We went in a department store where they had the most massive floor of shoes you've ever seen. Shoes everywhere. My favorite was when an irate Chinese man started yelling as loud as he could and throwing shoes everywhere. No idea what he was yelling, but everyone was standing around him just watching, so I figured it was okay.



And thus concludes Shanghai. Next stop: Nagasaki, Japan

1 comment:

Elsie said...

Ya, right, hoarking is kind of like serenading, LOL!! Thanks for another very interesting tour. That bridge does look charming, as does the night skyline.....cool vase-like top on that one building, and the fluorescent blue/purple boat reflecting in the water!. The last picture made me laugh because I thought the lady in the next booth looked a lot like you : )