Sunday, May 15, 2011

Pummelled, People-Watching, Pebbles

Once I have been to a place, it is not often I want to return (with the exception of New Zealand), but Vietnam would be a country I would add to my list of countries I would love to return to and explore extensively. Perhaps a biking tour?


The people, the greenery, the water, the beaches. Beautiful! Loved every second of my time there!


And who doesn't love a perfect line of amazingly colorful lanterns?


Had to climb about 150 steps to get to see this buddha at the top of the hill. He looks over the city. Every time I see one I kind of stand in awe because it baffles me. And saddens me.


Nha Trang Bay is absolutely stunning. Loved watching the fishermen. Wonderful place to sit and think and just watch.








Went to another temple where they were preparing for a massive festival the next day. I got stared at and pointed at by many people. I'm guessing because I'm larger. I had to laugh though because they were so NOT discreet. Pointing blatantly, tugging their friends over to come look at me. I should have offered to take some photos with them.








The beach we went to was beautiful. Not sandy though. Quite pebbly. I wanted to go swimming, because I love swimming and like taking any chance to swim that I can. I met some friends on the beach who warned that the undertow was strong. I brushed it aside, because well, I'm a strong swimmer of course. Undertow, schmundertow. I could handle it.

So I walked into the water. The current felt pretty strong, but I was also equally excited to get reprieve from the heat in the refreshing water. I walked in deeper, when suddenly it dropped off and I fell. At that exact moment, a massive wave came and pummelled me into the ground. Slightly washed out and shell-shocked, I got up, hoping my friends on the beach didn't notice and got out of the water.

Later I noticed blood running down my legs from where the rocks had cut me open. And later, upon showering, I removed approximately 2 cups of pebbles from my bathing suit. (Subtle way of stealing part of the beach).

The entire time, my mother sat on a chair in the shade, enjoying a coconut beverage and laughing at me as I got completely beat by the waves. Gotta love a mother's support.


And thus concludes our time in Vietnam. It was wonderful, adventurous and dangerous (haha). It definitely whet my appetite to come back and explore more.

Next stop: Hong Kong!

1 comment:

Elsie said...

Ooohhhh, glad you're OK after being pummeled by a wave. The power of an ocean wave is no laughing matter, if you ask me. Viet Nam looks so peaceful now, considering the many years of war the country endured. Beautiful!