Sunday, October 11, 2009

Romans, Rapid, Readers

First off, for those of you who may have been confused as to why suddenly my blog was updated rapidly from the last few months.. It's not that my blog is malfunctioning, but moreso that I like to change the dates of my posts to make it seem like I am a faithful, consistent blogger.. :) Also, when I look back, it's easier to keep track of when I did things and spaces it out! Based on my long break from blogging, does anyone still read my blog?

A passage of scripture I have been contemplating of late is from Romans 12:1-2. It has always been one of my favorites but over the last few months, it has taken on new meaning for me in its practical application.

"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

I have a lot of different thoughts that run through my head daily, some of them welcome, some of them not entirely welcome. Yet there they are and I have to figure out what to do with them. It's funny, because there are certain thoughts that I want to banish. Certain ways of thinking and attitudes that I want to get rid of. So I try to fend them off, yet they seem to come back to me stronger.

Something I have been learning and practicing has been to welcome the unwelcome thoughts. To accept them as my thoughts and acknowledge that yes, I do think this way and these thoughts are in fact in my head. And from that point, I realize that I, in my own power and effort, cannot stop them. And from that point on, I need to turn to God in surrender and ask Him to transform and renew my mind. He is the one who can radically change the direction of my thoughts and transform the way I think. If I allow Him to and if I surrender it to Him. But first I have to be honest about the way I think.

Just a few thoughts. Feel free to agree or disagree. :)

And happy Thanksgiving to you all!! :)

2 comments:

Elsie said...

Interesting thoughts from Rom. 12:2.....not conforming to the popular culture around us, but having a mind that thinks differently, feeding on God's truth and learning to know that God's will is. Your comments reminded me of II Cor. 10:5 "We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ." I like the idea of taking thoughts captive! They may sneak into our brains, but we can take them captive and force them to conform to truth.

Dave Howarth said...

some great things to think about. Thanks Vanessa.
Christ's encouragement to me recently isn't so much trying to overcome bad thoughts, but just focus on the good thoughts as He conquers the rest.