Sunday, March 18, 2012

Broadway, Bess, Business


A couple weeks ago, my mom and I went on a last minute trip to New York!  It was so wonderful to see her, hang out in New York, eat at some really tasty restaurants and see a few musicals!  The trip would have been more full, but I came down with some weird lung infection that caused me to not be able to breathe very well and hack a lot, so it limited our walking, but we still had fun!




My mom looked up some of her favourite celebrity chef restaurants and we went to check them out. The first was Bobby Flay's 'Mesa Grill'. SO tasty!  Service was excellent, food was amazing and the decor was fun as well. 


Went to see Sister Act which was fantastic. So much energy! I loved how a few people in the musical looked so similar to those in the movie!  


Then there was the heartwrenching Porgy & Bess. So well done. The cast was incredible and the story is really moving. Some fun songs but good slow ones as well. Lots of emotion mixed in. 


Went for a dinner at The Lambs Club which is Geoffrey Zakarian's restaurants. First off, loved the decor inside. I love red (as was the colour of my kitchen before) and it was a great blend of funky and classy.  Had a three course meal which was pretty good. The meat wasn't cooked the best, but the flavours were exceptional. And the ambience was delightful as well. 


Times Square!




How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, starring Nick Jonas (how can you go wrong? haha). It was a musical I had heard a lot about before so it was great to see it. It was probably my favourite of all them (although they were all great). I later watched the movie and love it as well. The writer is the same guy who did music & lyrics of Guys & Dolls, so I figured I would love it because that's one of my favourite musicals.  



And our fourth musical was Spider-Man. Music by Bono. Exceptional. Loved all the music and also all the special effects. The amount of flying around the audience that was done was pretty spectacular. They even had battles over the audience.

My mom and I laughed because the shows we saw would probably not be the first pick for a lot of people going to New York, but because I have seen a lot of them, I wanted to see new ones. And they did not disappoint!  They were all incredibly different in music and style, but each one was so well done in its own way.

We're hoping to return to New York when it's a bit warmer and at a time when I can walk around more thanks to clear lungs. :)  The 'Shake Shack' was right around the corner from our hotel so we went there a couple times. Excellent shakes, fries and burgers! Always a line outside the door no matter what time of day! 

And thus concludes some adventures in New York. More frequent updates will hopefully follow :)

No comments: