Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Bold, Beautiful, Best


Before I start this post, I want to give a shout-out to my friend Dara. If you enjoy reading about topics of hair, beauty and spirituality, go check out her blog: www.hairsprayandholywater.com And now onto my story about hair. :)

A lot of people make records of significant firsts in their lives. Today was a day I want to mark and remember as a potential "last". And if it doesn't turn out to be a last, that's okay, but I want to remember it just in case.

Today was possibly the last haircut I will get from my mom.

I thought this had happened early last year, but since she's been feeling better, she was able to cut my hair. My mom became a hairdresser as a teenager and would travel around town, going to people's homes to cut their hair. After her hairdressing days were over, she would always cut my hair.

Every time I asked my mom to cut my hair, she would tell me that she couldn't do a good job and I should just go elsewhere to get it cut because they know what they're doing and she's not up on the latest trends. I always tell her I love what she does (except for the first five minutes after every cut when I tell her it's too short), I trust her (except for the times she's burned my head with the straightener), and I feel able to tell her if I don't like it or need something changed. And she understands how cutting curly hair works.

Anyway, as she cut my hair today, I thought of all the times she has cut my hair in the past.  There was the time when she just started cutting, followed by a giggle and proclamation of "Oops, I didn't even ask you how short you wanted it. Hope you want it short!" Or there was today's announcement, "I hope you don't shriek when you see your hair in the mirror." Definite confidence boosters.


As she cut my hair today, it was a really special time that I wanted to cherish. First off because I get this time with her and that is a beautiful thing. And there is something special about having your mom cut your hair anyway. And as she cut it, she told me that this was perhaps the best haircut she's ever given me. And I concur.

After cutting it, she asked if I had any hair dye so we could dye it and I ran upstairs to grab my box of dye that was bought in an impulsively bold moment at the store. Red. And so we went with it. As she says every time she dyes my hair, I should have bought two boxes because it won't cover my hair.. but everytime my hair is mostly the same colour, so I think we're good. 


To conclude our day of hairdressing, I love it. It's bold. And beautiful. I told my mom that we both have bold hairstyles now. :) And now when I look in the mirror, I adjust to the shock of seeing my hair shorter and a vibrant colour, but it reminds me of life and the need to embrace life and to live life boldly and loudly, jumping in. Who knows? My hair could have turned orange (thankfully it didn't, although I was a bit worried when the dye was on my head!). 


 A quote I came across today about passion stood out to me:

"Passion gives us the courage to take risks in order to pursue what we believe gives life meaning." -Elizabeth Conde-Frazier

Now obviously dying my hair red isn't the biggest risk in the world, but it is the reminder to risk and live boldly, even when we don't know the outcome. It's the reminder that although love is one of the greatest risks ever, it is a think of beauty and transforms one's life, amidst the laughter, sadness, joy and pain. On days when I want to shut off and hide away, I am reminded that this is the way to go and I need to fully engage.

Take the risk and with it will come something of deep beauty and meaning. Something I'm discovering more and more each day.

So, live boldly. Risk boldly. Love boldly.

5 comments:

Lorri said...

Ah, I love this Vanessa. What a beautiful memory to add to your collection!

Beck's Bulletin said...

I love how the colour makes your eyes just pop!!!

Irene said...

I admire the boldness with which both you and your mom live and love!










Unknown said...

You have an amazing perspective.

Elsie said...

That colour looks great on you! Love your thoughts on living, risking and loving boldly.